Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - TonyEK

I own a five-year old Mercedes E220cdi, bought from new, and paid extra for Artico (man-made leather) seats. I have done approx. 8k mile p.a. and though I weigh less than 12 stones, the driver’s seat is cracked and disintegrating. I always had the car serviced at the Mercedes dealership and no third party has been involved in any way with the car.

The dealership asked Mercedes whether there was anything they could do, and I have followed this up since with Mercedes Customer Relations, but the car is out of warrantee. Potential buyers should know: the Artico seats won’t last more than the warrantee period, even with very minimal usage.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - Avant

Moved to Motoring.

I can see why people pay extra for the feel of real leather, but I'd be interested to know why you'd pay for man-made leather.

Fair comment, MtoM. I reckoned, wrongly as it turned out, that it would be longer lasting than the fabric, and would be in better nick when it came to resale. When I checked, most cars I saw second-hand had artico or real leather.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - Collos25

It really spoils a beautiful car I had cloth in both my DBs looks like it was the best choice even though it was not made by me.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - Collos25

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 17/03/2013 at 23:27

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - merlin

I have the same car of a similar vintage with artico seats. My drivers side seat cracked just before the warranty expired at about 50k miles. Mercedes replaced it under warranty. They wouldn't do the passenger side. I would be interested to know how much do they want to replace your seat?

Presumably Artico seats are failing in other countries too. It would be interesting to know how customers are treated in other countries.

I'm losing faith in Mercedes, what with this, the injector problems of more recent cars and the case of my disappearing handbook pack that went AWOL when I took my car into a MB dealership for its MOT.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - Sulphur Man

Interesting, as I've seen plenty of 17-20yr old E-Class W124 models with excellent-looking Artico and galactic mileages. Obviously not all Artico is created equally! And another example of how MB build quality has dropped since the late 90s

That's interesting, Merlin. Thanks. Clearly there is a generic flaw with the material, its manufacture or the application of the material to the seat structure. The fact that not all Artico seats are showing what we both have experienced suggests a flaw and a lack of quality control. And like you, there are other issues with build quality: the retracting wing mirrors that fail to retract sometimes; traction in even the slightest frost; revving on the automatic deisel; etc. To be honest, I was more shocked at the lack of responsiveness of the company than the fact of the flaw. Any and every made product can have flaws; the value proposition of a Merc though is that they stand on quality [for which one pays]. I feel now like I am paying Waitrose prices for a Tesco product / service. Fours of my immediate circle of friends have similar feelings: one has voted with his feet and bought a Volvo 4x4; another an Audi; the other two haven't changed yet.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - TeeCee

Artico (man-made leather)

Is that the new marketing name for vinyl?

I guess! .... but obviously not as good. "Man-made leather" was/is the term used: more 'friendly'; more upmarket; more 'proprietory'.

More junk, more like!

Former Mercedes employee in dealership, now at another dealership, tells me that they fielded dozens of Artico complaints every year; and that the problem seemed to be worse if you 'configured' the seat / trim / paint colours yourself [rather than take the models in the showroom]. Go figure!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - rob thailand

I purchased an e class 300 hybrid which stated it had a leather interior, the swatches even have the leather trade mark stamped on the reverse. The sales people even believe they are selling leather. My car cost over 80,000 pounds here although MB have a local assembly plant. They now even refuse to answer my e mails. The car which is 2.5 years old has been in to the local dealers for 2 weeks and was driven to Bangkok (not transported 340k) to another dealer for a further 2 weeks because of faulty hybrid. Since coming back it has had to have a second auxilary battery. I have only driven it for 10,000 k (6000 miles) They have extended the warranty to 5 years from 3, but I am far from happy. I just wonder why people rant about MB because to me the car is rubbish. I have had 23 brand new cars but this is my first MB. You would think MB would monitor it's subsidaries from Germany. The gear control on a stalk(forward or reverse) is temperamental and the delay when wanting to overtake is, in my humble opinion unacceptable and dangerous. The car looks nice though.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - RT

Just google "leather" and you soon find that it comes with a multitude of different treatments - but all with some treatment, even the best - and the same applies to domestic furniture as cars.

I did once remark about two previous cars of mine that the vinyl used for non-facing panels on 2000 Vauxhalls was better quality/feel that the leather used on facing panels on 2010 Hyundais - sadly as the 2006 Hyundais had decent leather.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - drummer76

I have a 59 reg C class with the Artico seat coverings,and these are cracking went back to where it was purchased and the long and short of it is,nothing can be done because i refused to pay MBs extortionate fees,so therefore nothing will be done.

Is there a recommended repair kit to cover up the damage.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - Avant

Almost certainly cheaper to buy seat covers, although I'm not sure whether you can get tailored ones.

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - focussed

Looking at this man-made leather discussion from another angle, could it be possible that that having Artico man-made leather available as an option is a marketing policy to pander to the non-meat eating veggies who wouldn't dream of sitting on the skin of a dead animal?

Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Mercedes Artico seats - merlin

Looking at this man-made leather discussion from another angle, could it be possible that that having Artico man-made leather available as an option is a marketing policy to pander to the non-meat eating veggies who wouldn't dream of sitting on the skin of a dead animal?

The E class I had was the Executive model and came with the Artico (vinyl) seats as standard. I sold mine with after 50k miles.

3 years later it's now done about 160k miles (from MOT history) so I guess it's been a taxi. It would be interesting to see how the seats have stood up to that treatment. I'm guessing seat covers are covering the cracks.