Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - FiestaOwner

Just received an email about renewing my car insurance from Direct Line. It's up from £360 to £700. Max NCD and no change in circumstances.

Will of course phone them up and shop around, but this is almost a 100% rise :-(

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - SLO76
I had a similar rise from Direct Line, so I made a cuppa and spent half an hour on t web which netted me a policy from Halifax insurance via a comparison site which was actually less than last years cover. It seems Direct Line no longer want to be in the mass market car insurance game and are purposely pricing themselves out of it. Don’t bother calling them, apparently they’re not playing ball regarding matching other quotes or discounting for your loyalty. Bin them, they no longer want your business.
Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - gordonbennet

They played ball with us and after negotiating with a helpful lady near enough matched the comparison site quotes as to be not worth mentioning, i renewed there and then so said lady would get the commission.

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - Steveieb

Seems like the big companies are realigning their business models?

But DL at least offer three levels of cover and I’ll opt for Essentials when the time comes to renew !

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - Gibbo_Wirral

"we're not on price comparison websites" they used to brag.

With their high prices I'm not surprised!

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - catsdad

My wife is with Churchill who are the same group as DL. Recent renewal was about £355 against about £300 last year. It’s odd that DL seem to be putting up prices so much comparatively.

I found some cheaper cover for her online, some as low as £300. However she decided to stick with Churchill. She is not the haggler in the family. In fairness the last time she changed she had a real faff in getting NCB recognised, both on the phone and by letter.

On my car I’ve stuck with LV over the last 11 years, with my wife as a named driver, and never found a close enough deal to merit changing. However my wife can’t get a competitive price in her own name from them.

Funny old business insurance.

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - Tester

The quote from Privilege (aren't they basically the same as Direct Line, or have I got confused?!) for my 8-year old Toyota Auris was a 110% increase this year. A short time spent with the helpful meerkats allowed me to bring the increase down to 'only' 25% through AA insurance. It seems that insurers are all trying it on this year while trying to pretend that it's carefully worked out by the actuaries, which -- sadly -- does not surprise me.

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - Engineer Andy

Just had my renewal quote from QuoteMeHappy, and it surprisingly was £10 less than last year (same cover / mileage) at £180pa.

First good thing that's happened to me in yonks. I'll take it.

Direct Line Car Insurance Renewal Quote - catsdad

Andy, just run my wife’s details through them. It’s quoting £398.

We are both retired, full NCB, low crime area, Suzukii Vitara, 10k miles per annum. Why it should be over twice yours is a mystery.

Previous years I've had good results phoning Direct Line and asking (very politely) if they could do any better a price. I'm very sceptical about how well that will work this year, though. Once I've got a few quotes, I will phone them to see what they can do.

Not sure about the Direct line essentials cover, as that doesn't cover "driving other cars". Don't use this often, but I've always had this cover.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Will update this thread once I've shopped around.

Update

Went to the MoneySupermarket comparision site via the Money Saving Expert site. Apparently you get the best prices between 3 and 4 weeks before the renewal date (I didn’t know this). Today is 24 days before the renewal date.

Got various quotes (for the same cover level. Courtesy car, Legal expenses, Protected NCD, Business use). Cheapest was £363 from Halifax (but they weren’t getting good reviews). RIAS and AGEAS were both quoting £407 with only £100 excess, I was very tempted (wasn’t sure what they were like to deal with though).

Got an online quote direct from LV=. This came back at £433 with a £400 excess.

Phoned Direct Line (my existing provider) to see what they could do. They dropped their price from £700 to £575.

I ended up renewing with LV=. Felt I had only heard good things about their service and was happy to go with them.

Strange thing I found, with the comparison site, was that I was getting cheaper quotes when adding business cover! Also, with the comparison site, I was getting cheaper quotes when having no voluntary excess!

So that’s it done for another year.