SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Michael Maddison

Right then, because I'm on a very truncated budget (times is hard and all that) and my locking wheel nut key is currently trapped in my glove box which appears to be permanently closed. Is there a way to get a replacement key/nut without being scalped by the main dealer?

As an aside this is made a little bit urgent as apparently my MOT is due in January

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Andrew-T

May be best to find a way into your glovebox. But I believe many places, typically tyre fitters, can get round this difficulty.

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Adampr

Unless it's locked, it should fairly easy to get into the glovebox. Just bear in mind that there are at least two latches. Find a YouTube video of how to remove it and you will be able to see how the mechanism works and where to put those credit cards.

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - elekie&a/c doctor
Go onto E bay and look up Vw locking wheel nut key matching service . Find the correct pattern for your key , and they will despatch a replacement. About £25
SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - catsdad

As to opening the box, I had a look at our cars (Golf and Swift) to see how easy it would be to slip the catches on the glove box. I have to say it would be tricky because the catches have their sloping side of the latch bolt facing into recesses in the box so you can’t just run a credit card or something against them to depress. You need to hook back onto them in some way. I guess they all work in a similar fashion.

They’re not a common car but if you can get a look at someone else’s you can see where the catches are and whether you could then fashion a bit of coat hanger to open yours. Having said that you could spend ages and scratch the plastics badly. It’s perhaps one of those jobs where a decent indie would probably slip the catches in seconds for a few quid. As above they will have the right trim tools to get around a simple but awkward latch.

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Gibbo_Wirral

Go to a local indy tyre fitter - the ones that have been there years and every one recommends - they'll have the tools and the skill to remove locking wheel bolts.

One near me used to charge £2.50 a corner

Can’t see the point of that . It means you’ll need a new set of 4 locking bolts.
SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Adampr
Can’t see the point of that . It means you’ll need a new set of 4 locking bolts.

Don't you just put normal bolts back?

Sure can , if you don’t want lockers .
SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Theophilus

But will still have a locked glove box - surely going to want to open it sometime!

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - bathtub tom

But will still have a locked glove box - surely going to want to open it sometime!

The OP may want to eat the Werther's in there before they go stale.

;>)

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Michael Maddison

Deffo, there is wine gums too

SEAT Ateca - Locking wheel nut - Andrew-T

Don't you just put normal bolts back?

I did that when my car reached the age of 12 years, and I considered the possibility of wheel theft could be forgotten. Got a plain set of bolts and sold the lockers on E-bay for a tenner.