Mercedes - Collision avoidance system - mickyh7

Hi, my new to me Mercedes came with Collision avoidance system.

I hate it! It's constantly warning of nearby traffic during normal uk driving, in tight corners in town, it will slam on the brakes when parked cars are nearby.

I can set the sensitivity or even turn it off, by going into a menu, but when the car is restarted it defaults on again.

My question though, hypothetically, if I'm on a normal road and go to overtake, get it wrong and find a car coming towards me will my car...

A Slam on, hang me out to dry and cause a smash, or....

B Ignore the on coming car and let me accelerate past the vehicle I'm busy overtaking then let me pull in safely.

Abeit close, but without fuss.

Occasionally, cars will deliberately close up, to prevent safe overtaking. Causing 2 or 3 car overtakes.

This is a fact nowadays unfortunately.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by mickyh7 on 08/10/2023 at 14:49

Mercedes - Collision avoidance system - skidpan

Occasionally, cars will deliberately close up, to prevent safe overtaking. Causing 2 or 3 car overtakes

Tell me about it. Totally stupid bar stewards.

Edited by skidpan on 08/10/2023 at 16:36

Mercedes - Collision avoidance system - gordonbennet

These systems are a menace, but for some reason being welcomed as if they're the new Y fronts.

We've had them on trucks for some time now, i've had to modify how i approach hazards to avoid the vehicle applying the brakes harshly for no reason, exaggerating the approach angle to a chicane type passage for example meaning having to cut in far closer otherwise the vehicle assumes one is about to hit the (typically a set of bollards) object you would otherwise have left changing direction later, this can be most disconcerting for other road users.

Can't turn the system off on my present vehicle and wouldn't anyway because doing so will be recorded on the vehicles 'black box' and potentially used in evidence later...you might be surprised just how much information about you and your driving all new vehicles are recording.

As for fool road users, it was bad enough before but over the last 3 years we've reached the sc***ings at the bottom of the barrell, seemingly no one can perform a hill start or judge a parallel reverse unless the car does it all for them, as for someone daring to overtake some self appointed apparatchik will attempt to put a stop to that, even if it kills them doing so yah boo it was the other persons fault.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/10/2023 at 21:09

Mercedes - Collision avoidance system - Brit_in_Germany

Unfortunately, I think it will be alternative A. The lane control system in our B-class is equally infuriating. If there are roadworks with temporary lanes, it will slam on the brakes as you cross the permanent white lines. If someone was too close behind, how would they brake in time?