Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - Steveieb

Has anyone else had the same as myself when driving a modern car after an early 2000 vintage car?

Suddenly the view out gets reduced by small windows and thick A pillars and restricted rear view .

Maybe to comply with new safety regulations but how unpleasant to be a rear seat in passenger in modern SUVs such as the Toyota CHR and Mazda CX3.

Drivers now have to rely on rear view cameras and revering in the dark is a nightmare with the minimal reversing lights.

Perhaps something you get used to but how pleasant it is to return to an older car with a high seating position and command post view out.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - thunderbird

No issues with either the Fabia or the Pulsar. Sit high(ish) in both with big windows.

The Mazda 3 was dreadful for rear vision when I tried one some years ago.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - Engineer Andy

No issues with either the Fabia or the Pulsar. Sit high(ish) in both with big windows.

The Mazda 3 was dreadful for rear vision when I tried one some years ago.

The 3rd and 4th gen Mazda3s, especially the low roofline 3rd gen one is far worse in terms of rearward visibility than my gen-1 car (gen-2s aren't much different to the gen-1 in that respect). The seating position was very comfortable, but like others have commented, I wouldn't want to have to rely on cameras and/or sensors for parking or manouvreing.

Seems to be a feature of many modern cars - even with crossovers and SUVs. Most of this is because having smaller windows means better crash protection from a stronger bodyshell. A pity they need even more electronic gizmos (more to go wrong plus the extra expense when buying) to avoid accidents due to poor visibility in the first place.

It's why I prefer the excellent compromise of the cars from the era of the late 1990s - 2010. A lot more common sense rather than just meeting targets for safety etc in unrealistic crash tests (they don't take into account trying to avoid said accident at the same time) but making accidents more likely due to poor sight lines and taking people's gaze away from the road towards TV screens and relying on sensors which aren't always as accurate as they purport to be, etc.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Andy. Cars up to 2010 were designed with good outward visibility in mind.

I first noticed the trend when I drove the Honda Jazz mk1 with the thick fron A pillers which obscured your front side view.

But driving the Renault Kadja at Millbrook when it was first launched , I was shocked by the size of the A pillars which reduced the front view considerably. But the owners don’t seem to have a problem with it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly Andy. Cars up to 2010 were designed with good outward visibility in mind.

I first noticed the trend when I drove the Honda Jazz mk1 with the thick fron A pillers which obscured your front side view.

But driving the Renault Kadja at Millbrook when it was first launched , I was shocked by the size of the A pillars which reduced the front view considerably. But the owners don’t seem to have a problem with it.

I agree. The other thing that the small-windowed modern cars do is make the interiors look dinjy. Not so bad on a hot summer's day, not so much for the rest of the year. I also found that parking with modern cars is far more tricky.

Even mine from 2005 has a high boot line in leiu of a longer boot (which would've made the car look nicer) to achieve the 410L size. No good for rearward parking (I don't have parking sensors on mine), fine otherwise.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - Andrew-T

Has anyone else had the same as myself when driving a modern car after an early 2000 vintage car?

I wouldn't call it claustrophobia, but the steady shrinkage of useful window area has been obvious since the turn of the century. Our regular car is a Pug 207 where I find rearward visibility limited compared with my 1994 306, which itself may be (only slightly) restricted compared with a 205. I don't often travel in other cars, but when I do I usually conclude that the only (slightly) logical explanation is styling. I'm sure it is part of the reason for the universal need for cameras looking from all corners of today's cars.

I suspect that the rising waistlines may be to accommodate a larger boot volume needing a higher rear shelf.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - badbusdriver

I remember years ago seeing this idea from Volvo in a magazine.

img_10561.jpg

Didn't seem a bad idea and I'm not sure why it didn't make production. I suspect either bean counters or the design team.

Of course the technology is now available to have a screen on the inside of the A pillar covering the blind spot. A bit like the feature on some new LandRover/RangeRover cars where you can, in effect, see through the bonnet and engine to the ground right in front of the front tyres.

I can understand why children seated in the rear of a modern SUV ask their parents for a dvd screen to keep them occupied.

Gone are the days of I spy because it’s impossible for them to see out at the front because of head restraints on the front seats and small side windows.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - John F

'early 2000 vintage car..' ??! In 2003 I replaced my airy widescreen 1990 Audi 100 2.0E with a relatively claustrophobic 1998 Audi A6. Although it was sleek and modern compared with the staid old 'three-box' style of the BMW 5 series and MB E class of '98, the relatively narrow windscreen with huge sloping A pillars took a while to get used to.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - halmereincarnated
The view out of my son’s 2018 Civic is pretty dismal. Why would you design a car with the rear spoiler and wiper mechanism half way up the rear window?

My sons MB e320 estate is pretty airy.

The view out of the windscreen is supplemented by the iconic three pointed star on the bonnet which gives the car a sense of direction that is completely lost in a modern SUV.

The bonnet emblem now gone a causality of the Health and Safety brigade.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - RichT54
The bonnet emblem now gone a causality of the Health and Safety brigade.

It looks like the current S-Class still has a bonnet ornament:

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/s-class/saloon-wv223/explore/highlights.module.html

So maybe just reserved for the top of the range rather than banned due to 'Health and Safety' ?

The view out of my son’s 2018 Civic is pretty dismal. Why would you design a car with the rear spoiler and wiper mechanism half way up the rear window?

Maybe they got the idea from the Merc C class coupe from the early-mid 2000s?

My partner managed to hit the kerb twice yesterday thanks to poor visibility from the drivers seat.

No wonder there are so many damaged rims given the popularity of skinny tyres.

Audi A4 - Car Claustophobia - badbusdriver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe they got the idea from the Merc C class coupe from the early-mid 2000s?

Probably more likely they took inspiration from their own back catalogue. The 2nd gen CRX from 1987, the 1st gen Insight from 1999 and the previous two gen`s (7th from 2005 and 8th from 2011) of Civic.

Re the rear visibility, surely any competent driver should be able to manage with the side mirrors only?.

My work colleague needs to replace his Civic Diesel and took a look at the CHR and Mazda CX3

His immediate reaction was that the visibility from inside is so poor.

Are there any modern cars which don’t suffer in this way ?