Insurance policy query - Wee Willie Winkie

I have maximum NCD but cancelled my policy last year due to getting a company car. I don't particularly want to lose my NCD after 2 years, as I believe is the case. I'm a named driver on my wife's insurance - come her renewals, is there anything to stop me taking a policy out in my name with her as a named but main driver? We'd then swap at the next renewal so we both maintain our NCD.

The other option is for me to buy a weekend plaything.....hmmm.

Insurance policy query - RT

Both plan A and plan B seem to make sense

Insurance policy query - bathtub tom

I've been doing this for years since we retired and no longer need two cars. I cannot say withany confidence which one of us uses the car more and so every couple of years the policyholder switches, so we each retain our NCB.

Insurance policy query - SLO76
I vote weekend plaything.
Insurance policy query - catsdad

When I retired in 2013 after 25 years of company cars I needed insurance. My company just gave me a letter stating my clean driving history and I got a NCD, without any problems, from LV. Of course things may have changed but I expect it’s still the case.

I also have heard that some companies will give a NCD to drivers already named in a policy. Maybe your wife’s insurance company do that.

Having said all that, if you need an excuse to get a plaything, don’t dig too deep ;-).

Insurance policy query - Xileno

My brother went through this about four years ago. When he scrapped his car he didn't bother buying another as he had the almost permanent use of his company van. I warned him that his full NCD would disappear but when he made inquiries with the insurance company he was with, the difference was not enough to be concerned about given he wouldn't have the expense of running a car.

I am not sure whether the NCD is all it's made out to be really, many years ago (1994) when I hit a tree on ice and lost my NCD, by shopping around my insurance ended up being lower anyway.

Flipping the policy would be cheaper and the more sensible decision although the weekend plaything sounds much more fun. A good topic for a new thread...