PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - ENGINE LOCKED PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - Riaan Bronkhorst

Hi all

Our 406 hdi with a terrible nocking noise engine immediately turned off.

After the engine was turned off the engine cannot turn in clockwise position (normal direction). Its stuck.

However, when the engine is turned anti-clockwise it turns smoothly and through the 4 stages there is compression. Cambelt in order, tdc on crank aligned with mark of cambelt.

Could it be a bearing or the oil pump chain jamming the engine turning normally.

Not overfilled with oil and oil has done only 75000 kms.

I am at wits end.

Regards

Riaan

PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - ENGINE LOCKED PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - galileo

Hi all

Our 406 hdi with a terrible nocking noise engine immediately turned off.

After the engine was turned off the engine cannot turn in clockwise position (normal direction). Its stuck.

However, when the engine is turned anti-clockwise it turns smoothly and through the 4 stages there is compression. Cambelt in order, tdc on crank aligned with mark of cambelt.

Could it be a bearing or the oil pump chain jamming the engine turning normally.

Not overfilled with oil and oil has done only 75000 kms.

I am at wits end.

Regards

Riaan

If the oil has really been in for 75000 km (47000 miles) I am not surprised the engine has a problem. The recommended oil change intervals are 15000 to 20000 km.

If you meant 7500 km, I'm sure someone will offer suggestions as to what to check next.

PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - ENGINE LOCKED PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - Big John

Any thing else happened before this happened - eg warning lights, minor repairs, loss of coolant? Searching for any clues. Consider hydraulic lock. What does the oil look/smell like?

However terrible knocking noise before engine being locked doesn't sound good and probably an engine strip down needed to investigate much further.

Edited by Big John on 23/07/2021 at 10:00

PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - ENGINE LOCKED PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - Peter.N.

Could be a broken cambelt but on these engines the rockers are designed to fail if the valves hit the pistons and you don't usually hear them go. An odd one this, these engines are usually bombproof.

PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - ENGINE LOCKED PEUGEOT 406 HDI 1.9L - Big John

Could be a broken cambelt but on these engines the rockers are designed to fail if the valves hit the pistons and you don't usually hear them go. An odd one this, these engines are usually bombproof.

"However, when the engine is turned anti-clockwise it turns smoothly and through the 4 stages there is compression. Cambelt in order, tdc on crank aligned with mark of cambelt."

Sounds like cambelt might be ok?

Have you tried removing the auxiliary belt, could be something that it drives causing the problem. I suppose the starter motor is disengaged. There is a vacuum pump on the RH end of the camshaft, could that have seized?

Sorry, that should read "left hand end" right hand end facing it from the front.