Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - Joe tuzzer

Hello, I am thinking of cha going the pads of my car as the pagid pads I have are a bit crap tbh. I have also got pagid discs and have probably done around 5k miles on them. They look pretty much brand new and have no abnormal wear or vibration issues or anything.

Would I be alright to put new mintex m1144 pads on those discs? Would I run into any issues?

Thank you for any advice/help.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - FP

Can't see any problem.

Do bear in mind that pads take a while to bed in - you won't get optimum braking effectiveness for a while.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - Joe tuzzer

Hello, thank you for the reply. Yeah I'm aware that it may take a few hundred miles too fully bed in.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - elekie&a/c doctor
Why can’t you use genuine Ford pads ,? that’s what the car was designed to work with .

I would but I have already purchased these mintex pads and have heard nothing but good news about them.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - bathtub tom

What's wrong with the Pagid pads, they're a well respected make?

I mean, they are alright but just wanted something with more bite. I have recently had my car powerbled at Ford so I k ow there is no air in the lines and the fluid is clean. I think I will just stick with the pagid ones if they are better. Anyway, thank you for all of the replies.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - mcb100
Just be aware that the 1144’s, being formulated for fast road/light track use, won’t work as well from cold as a regular pad. Especially in a light car.
I’ve got Pagid discs & pads on my Jaguar - absolutely no issues.

Edited by mcb100 on 22/02/2021 at 09:57

So it would be better too stick with the pagid pads? If that's the case then I will send the mintex pads back. Just wanted to know if you can reuse discs as there is a mixed opinion about it.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - mcb100

Entirely your choice, but there won’t be a problem using discs & pads from different manufacturers.

Curious as to how the Pagids were a 'bit crap'? No bite, fade?

Edited by mcb100 on 22/02/2021 at 10:49

I think I will just stick with what is already on then. I'm not saying they are awful it's just I have been in cars with sharper pads. There is no play in the pedal and the brakes engage very well it's just I want a bit more from the pads but not too worry. At the end of the day it's only a fiesta.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - skidpan

Back when I was racing some of the "performance" pads (i.e. road legal but suitable for track use) had to be used with new discs as any material left on the surface of what appeared to be a perfectly clean surface would contaminate and reduce the performance of the "performance" pad substantially. I have been out of the track scene for a good few years now and this situation may have changed with the introduction of ECE R90 in 1999 may have changed the situation totally.

When I needed new pads I tried Mintex M1144 after my beloved Ferodo pads were outlawed when R90 was introduced. Fitted new discs (at £10 each why not, cheaper than the pads - just looked £19 a pair now). The bedding in process was very strict and if carried out on a public road likely to attract the attention of plod if done in the wrong place. Basically it was apply the brakes firmly from 70 mph down to 30 and repeat 10 times, then allow the brakes to cool. Do not lock up. Mine never gave a firm pedal and in road use were terribly noisy after a few days of normal use (a good few hard applications sorted that) and they were very dusty on the wheels. Soon gave up on them when i discovered Ferodo had introduced a new R90 compliant pad which were like previous Ferodo kit excellent.

'my beloved Ferodo pads were outlawed'

DS11's? I used to use them in rally cars.

Edited by mcb100 on 22/02/2021 at 18:18

Thank you for the reply. I have made my decision too stick with what is on the car and use them untill they need replacing which will probably be a while.

Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - chris87
I used to run mintex pads on my old car and they did bite, I can tell you that. The downside was the amount of breakdust in generated compared to other brands, alloys were constantly dirty.

There’s no problem in combining pads/discs, but it’s usually done at the same time. In this case, since the discs are new, it will just take a bit of time for the pads to “settle”.
Ford fiesta 1.6 zetec s - Can I put new mintex m1144 pads on used brake disc - skidpan

'my beloved Ferodo pads were outlawed'

DS11's? I used to use them in rally cars.

Not DS11's, not really suitable for Caterhams, you would never get them hot enough on the road. The ones I had were the bottom of the Competition material scale and worked form cold but resisted fading when hot, cannot remember what they were called. Went off sale when the ECE R90 regs retty much wiped out the market for them. Ferodo's alternative was a pad called the DS Competition which despite its name complied with ECE R90, when I spoke to Ferodo they told me I would be unhappy with it since it was not a patch on the ones I had been using, that is why I tried the Mintex m1144. As I said above the Mintex was not good but shortly after Ferod brought out a pad called the DS2500 which complied with ECE R90 and was more or less the replacement for my previous Ferodo's. Way better than the M1144's (at least I got a firm pedal for starters) but because of the gap between the pads I cannot say conclusively if they matched the earlier Ferodo's.

When the barking system got to turned 25 years old I took the decision to carry out a full brake refurb including the calipers and eventually took the decision to move into the 21st century and fit 4 pot calipers with bigger discs on the front. The rear brakes were fine, the Sierra calipers were well up to the job and had led a very easy life. Only one piston so a doddle to refurb. Just new EBC Ultimax pads and they were sorted.

The new calipers on the fronts use Volvo pads which were about twice the area of the original Triumph ones. The calipers were manufactured with pistons that gave the same area as the others thus no new master cylinder required. Fitted them with EBC Ultimax pads just to see how they worked before deciding if I needed higher spec pads. 5 years on the brakes have been brilliant, no need to spend on better spec pads, much better than the standard calipers and expensive pads. Little dust as well. The disc/caliper combination will just fit under my 13" track wheels unlike many aftermarket mods.

The Calipers are the ones the company specs as an upgrade for track day/race Civic Type R's thus plenty good enough for a Caterham weighing about 600 kg's.