Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - SC99

Hi,

I posted in here a few months ago because the car I purchased started burning a lot of oil within the first week.

Since then, I returned it the dealer who said they had new piston rings to stop the engine burning oil.

I have driven about 3500 miles since I got the car back and had to add nearly a litre of oil about 500 miles ago. I also had an engine compression test a few weeks ago. Cylnder 1,3 and 4 had a leakage percentage of 5% but cylinder 2 had a leakage percentage of 21%. They told me the leakage percentage of 21% isn't that bad.

Is this where the oil is going? I know that this car is notorious for using oil.

Since I purchased the car, I have checked oil on nearly a daily basis because I found it was burning oil within the first week of owning it.

Also, the manual says to check the oil by driving for about 5 miles and then allowing the car to cool down for 10 minutes. When I do this, I find that the dipstick reading is lower than if I check first thing in the morning which goes against the idea that the fully-synthetic oil has expanded. Surely, if I was to top up to the max line by following the manual I could overfill?

Edited by SC99 on 15/02/2020 at 20:21

Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - Miniman777

I've had an R56 Cooper S, and we've currently an R57 Cooper S, and both use oil. The R56 used half a litre in 2000 miles, but I drove it hard. The R57 is driven more sedately by the wife and its more like 4,000 miles for half a litre.

Did the garage who put the new rings in undertake the latest compression test? If so, I'd get and indie check done.

I'd also add that the R56/57 mini dipsticks (the orange type) are awful to read accurately as the pick up oil in the tube and mine needed several 'dips' to be certain.

It was an independent garage who did the compression test, not the one where I bought the car from.

I agree, the dipsticks are awful.

Edited by SC99 on 16/02/2020 at 11:40

Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - elekie&a/c doctor

If its used one litre of oil in 3000 miles, I think you are doing well. As long as it stays that way ,I would leave it alone. I would always check oil level from cold ,on level ground . That way the oil can drain down overnight. Checking after 10 mins driving is not going to give a particularly accurate reading, as oil is still lurking in the engine.

Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - John F

If its used one litre of oil in 3000 miles, I think you are doing well.

Well, I don't. I think the OP is being fobbed off. A modern small engine should not need any top-up between 10,000 mile oil services in the first 50,000 miles of its life. Even my 1980 Triumph TR7 engine at 70,000 miles uses hardly any oil. Our old 1.6 Zetec Focus, which has had the cheapest semi-synthetic I could find every 10-15,000 miles, still does more than 3000 miles per litre at nearly 150,000 miles. If one of the piston's rings are such a poor fit now, what are they going to be like after another 30,000 miles of rattling around - if they make it that far?

Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - Big John

With any engine if you have had work done that involves replacing piston rings then it needs to be run in again and oil consumption may be higher initially

Edited by Big John on 15/02/2020 at 23:39

How many miles should it take until the engine is run in ?

This may sound like a stupid question.

But if I am checking oil everyday, sometimes a few times a day, could this be why my oil is going down as it loses a tiny bit each time I wipe the dipstick?

Or is this just wishful thinking that my car isn’t burning oil?

i can’t seem to see blue smoke. The reason I check the oil so often is because of what happened when I bought it and I’m trying to monitor how much it uses as a drive around 50 miles everyday.

Edited by SC99 on 16/02/2020 at 12:01

Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - thunderbird

How many miles should it take until the engine is run in ?

If all they have done is change the rings it will never run in properly (or possibly at all). Replacing the rings and doing no other work is a bodge. For the rings to stand any chance of bedding in the bores need honing to provide a surface for the new rings to bed into. The original bores will not have enough of the original honing marks left after several years of use.

But that requires a full engine strip (not a simple remove head and sump) which is expensive and I guess your garage will have done the cheapest job possible.

But since one of the cylinders is significantly worse than the others its clear to me that bore has suffered significant wear (or damage) and I guess the only way to sort that would be a rebore to all 4 cylinders and new oversize pistons (if they actually make them for this engine) and that will be expensive, possibly more than a Mini of that age is worth.

But if I am checking oil everyday, sometimes a few times a day, could this be why my oil is going down as it loses a tiny bit each time I wipe the dipstick?

Or is this just wishful thinking that my car isn’t burning oil?

The oil you wipe off the dipstick will be 1/2 of nothing, its wishfull thinking I am afraid.

If the car is actually running OK I would just continue to use it and check the oil regularly (whatever you are confortable with). 5 litres of BMW spec oil can be bought from Asda for £15 and that would last you 15,000 miles of top ups. I had a car that iused a pint every 300 miles and it ran fine and the cahp who bought it form me never had any issues. Car died in its mid teens and had used oil from the day I bought it at 3 years old. I replaced the valve stem seals when the head gasket failed but it made no measurable difference.

With regards to checking the oil level providing you use the same method every time preferably in the same place you will be fine. Most cars now demand the drive, wait and dip method but I still prefer the first thing in the morning before starting method.

Edited by thunderbird on 16/02/2020 at 13:00

Thanks for the advice on oil from Asda.

Wound I be right in thinking that that the catalytic converter would get damaged and the car would possibly fail its MOT though if it was going through this much oil?
Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - John F
...Wound I be right in thinking that that the catalytic converter would get damaged and the car would possibly fail its MOT though if it was going through this much oil?

I don't think we know accurately how much 'this much oil' is. You should be OK if it's less than a litre every 1000Km

Mini Cooper R56 - Mini Cooper R56 - oil consumption, piston rings - Andrew-T

if I am checking oil everyday, sometimes a few times a day, could this be why my oil is going down as it loses a tiny bit each time I wipe the dipstick? Or is this just wishful thinking that my car isn’t burning oil?.

An engine should contain several litres of oil, maybe a whole gallon. The amount you can wipe off a dipstick is negligible in comparison. It's more important to dip the engine only after the oil has run back into the sump, which may take anything up to half an hour - and to dip on level ground, as any slope can affect the reading.

Engines can lose oil down the exhaust, or through leaks. If there is a sumpguard underneath, leaked oil may show there rather than on the ground.