New car - AMANDA MULVENNA

Hoping someone could recommend a decent car.

Both mine and husbands cars have decided to breakdown, I'm due to start maternity leave soon and can do without a car for a while (parents live close and I am insured on their cars).

Husband drives a 2013 petrol Astra. He drives 300+miles a week for work. His astra has just hit over 100,000 miles and totally gave up. It might be worth fixing for me to run about in but he needs something that is a bit more economical to run and doesn't have as many problems doing a load of miles. Hes currently spending around £360 on petrol a month.

Firstly can someone recommend a decent car for us?

and secondly, are we crazy leasing a car instead of buying a second hand one?

New car - badbusdriver

Leasing probably not a good idea due to the mileage being covered. Cheap lease deals invariably include limited mileage allowances. As for other options, without a budget, any suggestions could be meaningless, so how much were you thinking about?.

New car - AMANDA MULVENNA

Prob around 7-10k

New car - SLO76
Here’s where my money would go considering the mileage and need for economy. This will do a genuine 65mpg, more with care. They’re highly practical and very reliable if looked after plus they’re an easy sell even with big miles up. The SE plus is the one to have too as it isn’t saddled with daft fat wheels and firm suspension that only serve to ruin the ride and add cost.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200129672...2

Edited by SLO76 on 12/02/2020 at 15:58

New car - badbusdriver

Here’s where my money would go considering the mileage and need for economy. This will do a genuine 65mpg, more with care. They’re highly practical and very reliable if looked after plus they’re an easy sell even with big miles up. The SE plus is the one to have too as it isn’t saddled with daft fat wheels and firm suspension that only serve to ruin the ride and add cost.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200129672...2

As above! :-)

Edited by badbusdriver on 12/02/2020 at 16:01

New car - Terry W

300+ miles a week, say 1800 miles a month to incude weekends.

Driven with restraint at (say) 50mpg = 36 gallons = £200 per month.

He seems to be using around 60 gallons a month - about 30mpg.

He is either caning the car mercilessly or spending several hours a day sitting in traffic - neither is a recipe for longevity or economy.

New car - Engineer Andy

Indeed - I have a similar sized and (likely) engined petrol car from the same era (older) and I've alwasy managed to get a minimum of 34mpg, and that's as you describe (and I'd only ever do that for very short periods).

It could be that the OP's car is a 2.0L, but still...perhaps (other than how it's used) it needs a major service, including checking items such as the injectors, MAF sensor, EGR, exhaust (including CAT) etc, as any of them could be clogged and could reduce the mpg of the car.

If the car is otherwise mechaincally (suspension, rust, other moving parts) and electrically sound, then it's probably better to find what the problem is, fix it and see if any of the aforementioned (plus any others can think of) parts are checked to see if it can run better, especially as some of them at least can be 'repaired' by the use of simple spray cleaners or fuel additive bottles.

Worth trying (spending a couple of hundred £ tops) first before spending several thousand to change to a new (to them) secondahand car, especially where the usage history (not just it having a FSH) is not completely known, especially if it were a modern diesel-engined car which might look good on paper due to the better mpg, but which may conk out due to emissions-systems related problems or may well be old enough to incur ULEZ penalties in the near future.

I would also hope that the car gets serviced not just once a year but by mileage if it's used that much.

New car - sajid

A honda civic 1.6 dtec would suit him cheap reliable economical 2012 onwards, there used to be a 2.2 dtec version with a 150 bhp.

Fuels bills would lower 30 percent and so will repair bills ensuring the replacement car has a full service history.

On the other hand the astra could be repaired and serviced thus ssving a huge chunk of mobey on another car