Volkswagen Golf - 2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi intermittent engine issue - Oliver zecchin
I’ve owned the car for 3.5 years now and haven’t faced any major technicals issues. My car was part of the emissions scandal and was recalled for a software update. After retrieving from the garage the car has displayed intermittent engine issues every 300 miles roughly where for a period of time the car displays the 5 following faults - high idling around 950, normally 750 ish. Rough transitioning when changing gear, almost sounds as though it’s misfiring. Stop start system stops working. Car jolts excessively when driving between 15-30 mph in 2nd and 3rd, you have to increase acceleration to prevent this. Cooling fan will always come on when the car is switched off. This fault has become more prominent and happens every 50 miles or so - It’s quite unpleasant to drive. Even though I know the issues, I haven’t taken to the garage as I’m hoping someone has an idea on what’s happening. It’s worth mentioning that I take regular long journeys too. Thanks in advance.
Volkswagen Golf - 2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi intermittent engine issue - Railroad.

I would imagine the software update was to increase the amount of EGR. The EGR valve should normally be closed at idle and at full load otherwise The driver will notice its effect. It should only open during cruise conditions.

The normal programmed engine idle speed is 903rpm.

The cooling fan runs during the DPF regeneration process. If the engine is switched off whilst regeneration is in progress the cooling fan will continue to run for a few minutes until engine components have cooled sufficiently.

Plenty of owners have made complaints about poor running and performance after the recall. Perhaps it may be worth going back to your dealer to ask if the update can be reversed.

Volkswagen Golf - 2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi intermittent engine issue - Oliver zecchin
Thanks for your message. I did come across some stories online about the regeneration phase. As mentioned, it really is quite unpleasant to drive when it’s in this state! Perhaps a journey back to VW is the best option. Thanks again.
Volkswagen Golf - 2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi intermittent engine issue - elekie&a/c doctor
The 1.6 Tdi engine fitted to this is possibly the most unreliable motor ever to come out of the VW factory . Now that it has had the software update, it is likely to need a new set of injectors. Highly expensive job . They are around £350 each . You got 4 of them .
Volkswagen Golf - 2010 VW Golf 1.6 tdi intermittent engine issue - Railroad.

I'm afraid the sad fact is that however good we might think modern diesels are they are still dirty old oil burners. Advancements such as common rail technology which has allowed a return to direct injection, and ECM control have improved matters, but the DPF and EGR system only paper over the cracks. Neither solve the emissions issue at source. In fact nothing will where diesel engines are concerned. I don't think we'll ever see a diesel engine, or engine management system that really solves the diesel emission problem.