Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Maria Salisbury

Sorry for the long post but I'm at my wits end and no-one seems to be able to help me?

1. Had since new on lease, no trouble at all except “Connect” system when car was about 2.5yrs old it started: Radio and CD cutting out, Phone dropping calls, Sat Nav not working correctly, Nissan couldn’t find a fault ordered new system whilst car under warranty

2. Bought car February 1st – Feb 3rd Battery flat, totally!!

3. Nissan replaced with new battery and did a complete replacement of “Connect” system at same time

4. April (early)– Left home car seemed like it had no power, when on main road put foot down car revved up lost power went into Limp Mode I drove it 2mins back home, RAC came out reset the system and said it showed Low Wattage/Voltage suggested I get the battery checked for faulty wiring

5. Nissan checked the battery said all good Car was fine until;

6. September 7th on way to Cornwall 4hrs into journey noticed Rev counter seemed to be doing its own thing but car running normally

7. During week got worse, more erratic especially up and down hill rev counter didn’t tally with speed or gear

8. September 14th left campsite slowly, as soon as put foot down for power to pull out car did the same as in April rev counter shot up car jolted forward start/stop fault came up went into Limp mode – no other fault lights

9. Rang RAC BUT whilst waiting decided to see if it was still broke, car started and start/stop went off, I drove it round the campsite and it was ok

10. RAC arrived said wiring seemed tight so he loosened it a bit??

11. Car got us home next day, totally erratic rev counter.

12. Been ringing Nissan since September keep telling me they waiting for their engineering department to get back to them, I’m still waiting….

13. Been driving car 4/7 days for work, always starts, I have to drive really slowly to end of road then increase speed slowly, rev counter does its own thing, including dropping down to below 1000 even if you doing 40 when you take foot off accelerator and shooting up to 3000 when you accelerate. Once car is warm it stops doing all that and decreases slowly as you brake, and goes up normally when speed increases BUT it still doesn’t like going uphill seems sluggish with lots of revs, downhill revs increase when braking?

14. Last Saturday night all was the same but I got the other side of Maidstone (about 6 miles?) and it jolted forward a few times revs went up n down countless times stop/start came on but didn’t seem to go into limp mode. I waited a few minutes set off again and got into side road. Waited 15 minutes started it up and it drove home with a friend following albeit slowly. Never done this mid journey before, usually only happens 1st thing in morning.

Maybe irrelevant but both times in September and Saturday night the car had been standing for 48hrs in the rain? April had been standing for a couple of days in very cold temp.

I do a lot of miles City and Motorway for work…Hope this breakdown is of some help.

Edited by Avant on 01/11/2019 at 00:20

Nissan Qashqui 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Dorset123

Hi

These engines can have EGR valve failure which then causes hem to run badly.

The battery on these vehicles are failing at such a rate some cars having 2 or 3 batteries a year as the system will stop the battery charging to save fuel so the battery doesn't fully charge and this causes them to fail.

Nissan have had a lot of problems with the connect system the dealers should now have an update to correct it even though Nissan didn't accept there was a problem for while.

Did the RAC move the wiring by the Cooling fan ? it is quite possible the wiring has been damaged by the cooling fan as the wire can be hit by the cooling fan.

Sadly all of the things you mentioned are problems with this model.

Nissan Qashqui 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Maria Salisbury

Thanks I'll add your points to the list of what I want the garage to check...

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Avant

"Had since new on lease, no trouble at all except “Connect” system ...."

Could you make this a bit clearer? If it's a 65 registration, it was new in 2015/16. So is that February 2016 you mean in point 2? And which year are the other dates?

You refer to 'Nissan': does this mean the dealer? Or are you leasing through a leasing company, in which case who is responsible for contacting the dealer that will do the repairs?

When does the lease, already nearly 4 years old, come to an end?

Finally, I'm not sure what 'no trouble at all' refers to in point 1.

All of this is relevant if we are to give you any useful advice.

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - badbusdriver

"Had since new on lease, no trouble at all except “Connect” system ...."

Could you make this a bit clearer? If it's a 65 registration, it was new in 2015/16. So is that February 2016 you mean in point 2? And which year are the other dates?

You refer to 'Nissan': does this mean the dealer? Or are you leasing through a leasing company, in which case who is responsible for contacting the dealer that will do the repairs?

When does the lease, already nearly 4 years old, come to an end?

Finally, I'm not sure what 'no trouble at all' refers to in point 1.

All of this is relevant if we are to give you any useful advice.

Yes Avant, the OP's post really isn't very clear!. However, my interpretation is that the OP initially took the car on a lease deal, then after it finished, for whatever reason, decided to buy the car. "no trouble at all" (point 1), i would assume means that during the lease period, there were no issues other than the Connect system.

Not much help now, but buying the car was a mistake. The Nissan Qashqai is little more than a jacked up re-badged Renault Megane, and as such the reliability is not great. Also, i'm not 100% sure, but i'd guess the auto on this car will be a dual clutch automated manual. This is a type of gearbox which offers much in terms of performance and economy, but reliability is usually poor due to the overcomplexity of them.

If you get these issues resolved (fingers crossed), get rid of the car as soon as is possible. Should sell easiliy enough as they are popular despite the poor reliability. Assuming you decided to buy the car as you wanted to get off the lease/PCP merry-go-round?. If so, that was a sensible enough idea, but you need to do some research as to which cars are going to offer long term reliability outwith the warranty period. And if you must have an automatic, make sure it is of the torque converter or CVT type which will be much more reliable.

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Avant

Thanks BBD - that interpretation makes sense! In which case I agree with you - time to flog it ASAP. A Honda CRV or Toyota RAV-4 might be good ones to look for as a replacement.

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - dan86

The op said it was an xtronic automatic making it the CVT box.

All this Nissan bashing on this thread but my Nissan has been faultless. Maybe it seems like they have loads of problems due to the fact they're so popular

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Xileno

"All this Nissan bashing on this thread but my Nissan has been faultless. Maybe it seems like they have loads of problems due to the fact they're so popular"

Very much my thoughts. You will mostly read about the problem cases on the web. Most people don't write about how great their car has been, only if it's problematic.

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - Engineer Andy

"All this Nissan bashing on this thread but my Nissan has been faultless. Maybe it seems like they have loads of problems due to the fact they're so popular"

Very much my thoughts. You will mostly read about the problem cases on the web. Most people don't write about how great their car has been, only if it's problematic.

You may as well say that about most car makes (the super car/luxury ones aside) - but the difference between having 3-5% serious reliablitiy problems and 10% is significant, especially if (as you say) sales volumes are higher.

They also appear to sell a lot of cars as hire cars too, with many (especially Jukes and QQs) ending up on car supermarket forecourts after a year or so at ridiculous discounts, as well as cars that couldn't be sold as new.

I think what also gives Nissan a problem is that they appear to have to heavily discount their cars (they and Renaults often have discounts via brokers of over 30% [sometimes as high as 40%] and rarely below 20%) to keep sales up, but (like Renault) spend a great deal of money on fixing faults and is the reason why they aren't more profitable.

Great if you are lucky enough to get a great deal and the car is reliable (basic versions are better), not so good if something goes wrong. It's a bit similar with Mazdas - buy a non-rotary petrol-engined car and you think they're really good (and don't notice the often patchy customer service from main dealers), buy a rotary-engined car or diesel and don't use it exactly as it was designed for and you end up hating the car and the brand.

My old K11 (mid 90s) Micra was a great little car, never really any problems of note, but that was before they sold out to Renault and the quality dropped.

It's why both Ford and GM (amongst many US manufacturers) have struggled over that last 30+ years because they had their priorities all wrong and eneded up spending money in the wrong areas, leading to lower profits or big losses. VAG obviously found this out over dieselgate and other major issues, such as the DSG twin clutch gearbox, but have a much better reputation globally and, if they avoid any more scandals in the mdeium term, should continue to do fine.

All this Nissan bashing on this thread but my Nissan has been faultless. Maybe it seems like they have loads of problems due to the fact they're so popular

Saying the Nissan Qashqai isn't a reliable car when the evidence supports this is not 'Nissan bashing', it is simply being prudent and realistic. You (and Xileno) on the other hand seem to be doing the opposite by assuming because you personally have had no trouble with your cars, Nissan's are in fact very reliable. Look at the truly vast list of 'things to watch out for' on the Qashqai review on this website (www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/qashqai-2014/.../). Look also at reliability surveys, the 2019 What Car one for example, in the list of 21 family SUV's the Qasqai diesel is 18th, the petrol version is 19th and the mechanically identical Renault Kadjar is 20th. The only car in the sector worse, is, unsurprisingly, the Evoque.

But you have a voice, if you feel the OP would be better off keeping the car then say so, instead of complaining about folk (like myself) who think she should get rid of it ASAP.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/11/2019 at 19:47

Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic 65 plate auto - HELP!!!!!!! - dan86

Saying the Nissan Qashqai isn't a reliable car when the evidence supports this is not 'Nissan bashing', it is simply being prudent and realistic. You (and Xileno) on the other hand seem to be doing the opposite by assuming because you personally have had no trouble with your cars, Nissan's are in fact very reliable. Look at the truly vast list of 'things to watch out for' on the Qashqai review on this website (www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/qashqai-2014/.../). Look also at reliability surveys, the 2019 What Car one for example, in the list of 21 family SUV's the Qasqai diesel is 18th, the petrol version is 19th and the mechanically identical Renault Kadjar is 20th. The only car in the sector worse, is, unsurprisingly, the Evoque.

But you have a voice, if you feel the OP would be better off keeping the car then say so, instead of complaining about folk (like myself) who think she should get rid of it ASAP.

It's not my decision what the OP should do that's entirely up to them. I'm not saying they should keep or sell I'm just pointing out that there our some people on here that like to put down the nissan qashqai whenever someone has a question about one.

The OP obviously got a lemon possibly a Friday afternoon carr and I'm putting forward that my one a 1.6 DCI xtronic at 4 years old has been faultless.

They may not be a great drivers car but what they do is make a good family car. Yes they may offer discounts but they are a volume manufacturer and by owning one yo . An see what they are so popular with families.

When we got our one at 3cyears old we got a good deal that included 3 free services and 4 years manufacturer approved warranty.

It's not my decision what the OP should do that's entirely up to them. I'm not saying they should keep or sell I'm just pointing out that there our some people on here that like to put down the nissan qashqai whenever someone has a question about one.

Sorry, but this is just a cop out. The OP has come on here asking for advice, so if you are not willing to stick your neck out in favour of keeping the Qashqai, then you are obviously not that confident of their reliability in general. Also, if you are not willing to offer the OP an opinion on what she should do, then there is little point in taking part in this thread.

The OP obviously got a lemon possibly a Friday afternoon car

Here again, you seem to be quite happy to take on board that the OP has got 'a lemon', but completely unwilling to accept that maybe you just got a 'good one'. As i said in my last post, pointing out to any potential buyers that the Qashqai is not known for being a reliable car (yours not withstanding), when pretty much all the evidence supports this, is not 'putting it down', it is simply making them aware of the facts. I've nothing against the Qasqai as a car, but (as with a great many modern cars) i just wouldn't be willing to take the risk of buying one outwith the safety net of a manufacturers warranty when there are much safer bets availiable for the same money.

I'm putting forward that my one a 1.6 DCI xtronic at 4 years old has been faultless.

Nobody is suggesting that good Qashqai's don't exist. I'm sure there are also people out there with a Mazda CX5 diesel who have had no trouble, but that isn't really the point. You need to look at the broader picture to minimise the risk if shelling out a lot of money for a car which is not going to come under the umbrella of a warranty, and the best way of doing that is to go for something widely known for its reliability.