bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - j wilmshurst

Do traders or private vendors have to declare when selling ex police cars? and if so what's the legal implications if they fail to do this....

Edited by j wilmshurst on 30/07/2019 at 20:20

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - RT

I doubt it - they don't have to declare ex-hire cars - it's up to the buyer to see the V5C before deciding to buy.

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - Brit_in_Germany

The term "police car" is pretty broad. A patrol car and the car used by the chief constable as their company car (albeit kitted out with lamps and sirens) are two quite different beasts.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 30/07/2019 at 21:33

The question is regarding an ex patrol uk police car, turned back to standard, do traders or private vendors need to declare when selling that the vehicle is ex police response vehicle ect, and if they dont what can happen,

thanks

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - alan1302

The question is regarding an ex patrol uk police car, turned back to standard, do traders or private vendors need to declare when selling that the vehicle is ex police response vehicle ect, and if they dont what can happen,

thanks

No, they don't need to tell you.

is there any downloadable source for legal rules for motor traders.... we deal in machinery and some vehicles but the ex police car we sold was a private sale as was bought to repair for my wife, the crank was questionable and we decided to sell.... the buyer is taking us to small claim saying it was clocked by us, but we have proof from auction we bought it with the milage shown and the service history we sold it on with

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - Palcouk

If you have the auction sales receipt that shows the mileage as sold and the service book from that purchase, which you had passed on to the buyer then his case cannot succeeed.

It might be the case that the vehicle was sold at auction, from some Police service, and subsequently resold at a second auction by the buyer, who had perhaps manipulated the mileage.

When I was in the Police Service, cars were serviced by the Police, internally, the Makers service books were not used.- It sounds to me, that you as the buyer were duped in your purchase.

Edited by Palcouk on 31/07/2019 at 14:07

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - bathtub tom

Do police cars have MOTs? If so and if the car's over three years old, then it would be a simple matter to check the mileage by its MOT history.

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - Bromptonaut

Is the subject of the small claim solely around alleged 'clocking'?

If there are other items in the claimant's case what are they?

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - concrete

My friend is a senior transport manager for a large police force. They do maintain the vehicle well but the vehicles are subjected to pretty rough service, often by many different drivers. The mileages are always recored as is the whole service record of the vehicles so should be a true reflection of what the vehicle has done. However he also says that he would not touch one these ex police cars with a barge pole. It is impossible to say if the vehicle has had an extremely hard life or just a hard one! Either way it is fraught with problems. Unless you get it very very cheaply and are able to effect repairs yourself give it a body swerve. That is a word from the wise.

Cheers Concrete

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - gordonbennet

I too would be wary of general purpose ex police cars, but i once bought an ex driving school 827si, back when still maintained in house, this car had been subject to a maintenance regime most of us could only dream of (all on a print out) and proved to be one of the best, and deceptively quick, cars i've ever owned, completely trouble free.

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - bathtub tom

i once bought an ex driving school 827si

I can't imagine any scenario where that would have been used as a driving school car. Perhaps a tax fiddle for a senior staff member?

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - Miniman777

I suspect the reference is to the police force's own driving school, not a traditional driving school. Such a vehicle would be used during the process to improve the skills of a basic patrol driver to that needed for TPAC (high speed pursuit and containment) or diplomatic/VIP protection where evasive techniques might be needed.

I suspect the reference is to the police force's own driving school.

Indeed, i should have made it more clear, the car actually came directly from Thames Valley driving school, probably via Oxford auctions.

Not a common spec, that silky Honda V6 coupled to a manual box.

bmw estate 3 series - Ex police car - Gibbo_Wirral

I would have thought an ex police car would be obvious to spot - discolouration where the badges were, all the holes cut in the dash and bodywork filled with rubber grommets and so on.

I would have thought an ex police car would be obvious to spot - discolouration where the badges were, all the holes cut in the dash and bodywork filled with rubber grommets and so on.

Ex patrol and general purpose cars yes, but CID, general unmarked, driving school, or senior officer's perks won't necessarily have had anything other than communications equipment or the odd extra switch siren or hidden lights in place, my ex driving school blue/grey Rover had nothing other than standard.