Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Steveieb
So the D of E has a lucky escape from a crash involving him joining a main road from his estate.
Goes to show how your choice of vehicle can influence the outcome of an accident , more importantly at the age of 97.
Most retired people downsize to a Hyundai I 10 or equivalent at a time when they are considered a high risk by insurers in view of their possible eyesight and medical conditions.
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Brit_in_Germany

I am not sure that it was an Evoque - no member of the royal family would be seen dead in one of those.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I tried to post on this subject earlier on today.

Thought all references to Chookie Embra were embargoed.

My question was what damage did the Kia sustain? Impressed that there were no serious injuries.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Leif

I am not sure that it was an Evoque - no member of the royal family would be seen dead in one of those.

So that means an Evoque would be very safe for him? Vile looking cars. Why would their exultednessships not be seen in a deceased state in one?

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - barney100

Apparently it was a Freelander.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Smileyman

lucky escape for all .. could have been much worse. f course the Council has now decided to lower the speed limit, typical knee jerk action, bet they did not even find out the speed of the second car at time of impact, if it was driving at say 50 mph how would lowering the speed limit help?

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - focussed

There was a proposal for the installation of an average speed camera system on this road, the A149, but this was vetoed by the local council much against the wishes of Norfolk police.

www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/speed-cameras-on-a14...9

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - RT

lucky escape for all .. could have been much worse. f course the Council has now decided to lower the speed limit, typical knee jerk action, bet they did not even find out the speed of the second car at time of impact, if it was driving at say 50 mph how would lowering the speed limit help?

The proposal to reduce the limit has been in progress for some time, just co-incidence they voted for it today.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Andrew Greening

Following a side on collision ( T Bone ) like this the Police Collision Investigator would be able to perform skid tests to determine actual collision speed of the Kia, that said having seen the various photographs of this I would state that the speed by the driver of the Kia was nowhere near the posted limit of 60 MPH. i would need to see the impact damage to the Kia to properly determine such

But,Thank God the injuries to all parties was minor as T Bones are very brutal by their nature even at much lower speed than is indicated by media who make mountains out of Molehills

The intrusion into the side door of the Land Rover Freelander is not major as I would have expected severe impact damage at 60 MPH, with both vehicles being sent far apart and substantial injuries as a result to all.

The fact that it was a side impact would be the causal factor in the Freelander going onto it's side at relatively low speed that is easy to make happen especially to a high riding vehicle All of the pictures depict the front screen having damage, this was made by the fire service cutting the screen out due to the clean cut lines not dislodged by impact as they are glued into position.and seldom dislodge even in high speed impacts.

The Police will no doubt conduct enquiries and make the position known after all the evidence has been examined NOT jump to hypothetical conclusions as other people do.

Reducing the speed from 60 to 50 would reduce the impact forces by a factor of 4 times less than at 60.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - FoxyJukebox

Yes indeed and contributing factors might have been a low sun affecting visibility or/and an alleged over generous speed limit. I think anybody of any age might have been unlucky.

I bet HRH is back behind the wheel asap-if only for drives around estates and not on public roads?

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Andrew-T

I bet HRH is back behind the wheel asap-if only for drives around estates and not on public roads?

Perhaps Queenie will suggest he sticks to proper horses from now on.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - oldroverboy.

In 2002, I was driving to the Polo club on the Windsor great park estate, and got rather lost..

An elderly gentleman driving a twosome and carriage with a valet on the backboard gave me directions...

It was only when I saw the valet was holding back a smile i realised that it was HRH. naturally I grovelled.

I told them at the Polo club, and they said simply.. Well his directions were good were they not!

Get well soon sir!

An elderly gentleman driving a twosome and carriage with a valet on the backboard gave me directions...

Surely that would have been a postillion ? :-)

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - John F

Surely that would have been a postillion ? :-)

Only if having a rest from riding. More likely the coachman's assistant :-I

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - John Boy

It's all in the True Stories journal:

tinyurl.com/ybbaxaxn

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Sofa Spud

We've had discussions about older drivers on here before and whether or not they should face restrictions.

I'm against all the stuff like 'compulsory retests for the over 60s' or stopping over 70s from driving at all because generally older drivers are not a problem unless they're medically unfit. Drivers of any age can be medically unfit.

However, allowing a 97 year old to be driving on a public road is somehow a different ball game, regardless of whether this particular 97 year old did anything wrong or not.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/01/2019 at 15:52

We've had discussions about older drivers on here before and whether or not they should face restrictions.

I'm against all the stuff like 'compulsory retests for the over 60s' or stopping over 70s from driving at all because generally older drivers are not a problem unless they're medically unfit. Drivers of any age can be medically unfit.

However, allowing a 97 year old to be driving on a public road is somehow a different ball game, regardless of whether this particular 97 year old did anything wrong or not.

I was with you until that last paragraph. Or are you suggesting compulsory tests for over 90’s? Is this really a problem? You can have illnesses etc at 30, 40 or whatever age.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Miniman777

Far, far too much froth over ages and abilities, not helped by Polly Toynbee's rather nasty piece in the Guardian about old people - and from someone who's 72!

You do not need compulsory retests, it's all down to eyesight, ability and medical fitness. As Leif says drivers can have illnesses and medical episodes at any age, is I resent this oldie bashing.

Another factor is how often you drive, how far you drive and the type of road/traffic you drive in regularly. Put simply, you cannot generalise on age - everyone is different, some more able than others.

One factor that's slipped under the radar in the D of E's accident is I heard one newscast say his bodyguard was with him. Gone quiet over that?

How would you feel being on a steam hauled train on a UK main line travelling at more than 70mph in 50 year old carriages with the driver in charge being 75 years of age? Safe or not? Again, down to competence, fitness and medical tests and so on.

Problem is that after middle age deterioration can set in early or very late, so it's impossible to suggest a fair cutoff age. An 'old' friend of my parents drove on his own every summer from Luton to the south of France, until his 100th year. He knew France well, having served there in the war. and kept to the RN roads, taking three days to get there. On his final trip he featured in the local French paper.

I don't know of him ever having an accident.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - John Boy

There are some very interesting statistics (and advice) here:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46916429

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - nick62

Apparently it all went a bit awry when HRH shouted "whoa" and tried to pull on the reins.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - KB.

His replacement, like for like, Freelander was delivered the day after the incident. And he's back on the road (a public road) without his seatbelt on today. I would have thought a seatbelt would be advised given he was up-ended in his previous car. I haven't seen it said if he was wearing his belt when the incident occurred.

I hope I'd get a replacement delivered to me on a trailer in similar circumstances if the same happened to me. Perhaps it would.

And equally I hope the Kia driver has now also received her replacement Kia on a like for like basis - and, if it transpires she was free of blame or liability, isn't penalised by her insurer. (See a recent thread regarding blame free drivers getting stung by their insurance co.)

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Bromptonaut

I hope I'd get a replacement delivered to me on a trailer in similar circumstances if the same happened to me. Perhaps it would.

And equally I hope the Kia driver has now also received her replacement Kia on a like for like basis

Reports suggest the replacement Freelander was another example from the Royal fleet brought down (on a trailer) from Balmoral.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - gordonbennet

If any of us were the Duke of Edinburgh, i have no doubt our replacement vehicle would have been delivered just as promptly, no doubt the same would be the case for the PM or any of her ministers, i doubt they'd be hopping on a passing Omnibus to go about their official business if their allocated limo was unceremoniously T boned.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Steveieb
You may have heard the true story about my friends 75 year old dad that took the shortcut onto the M1 at the service area at Newport Pagnell only to turn right onto the Southbound carriage against the flow of traffic .
When he was stopped by the police he complained to them that they should be spending their time dealing with all the motorists going the wrong way down the motorway.
He was subsequently banned!

My M1 incident involved a Polish truck which side swiped me. I eventually stopped the truck and the driver denied anything had happened. Like the case on money box today the insurance companies have no intention of following these incidents up as they have no representation in Eastern Europe so you end. Up claiming on your own insurance.

Motto give them a wide berth
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - edlithgow

And equally I hope the Kia driver has now also received her replacement Kia on a like for like basis - and, if it transpires she was free of blame or liability, isn't penalised by her insurer. (See a recent thread regarding blame free drivers getting stung by their insurance co.)

IIRC the insurers argument is that, if you are in a collision with The Duke of Edinburgh, that means you drive in a manner, place and time that makes you statistically more likely to be in a collision with The Duke of Edinburgh again.

Its not a question of blame, simply a question of statistical DOE risk management.

Edinburgh itself is probably pretty safe. I drove there for years and had no close encounters of that kind at all.

Windsor, probably not so much, but I only drove there for a few months. Phew!

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - colinh

The licence renewal procedure in Spain seems like a minimum. Every 10 years below 65, 5 years above 65 - a very basic medical, (eyesight, blood pressure, co-ordination - methods seem to vary depending on the doctor's perception of the candidate), they then take photo on webcam and this is transferred to traffic department, who forward licence. The medicals are carried out at privately-run clinics. My last one cost €40

The papers are saying he was stopped and spoken to by the police for not wearing a seat belt. Presumably he had it on at the time of the stop, otherwise this would surely be three points. Perhaps he should now be known s the Duke of Hazard.
The papers are saying he was stopped and spoken to by the police for not wearing a seat belt. Presumably he had it on at the time of the stop, otherwise this would surely be three points. Perhaps he should now be known s the Duke of Hazard.

He wasn't stopped. The police "were made aware" he had been driving sans SB by photograph(s).

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - focussed

He wasn't stopped. The police "were made aware" he had been driving sans SB by photograph(s).

He was within the gates of the Sandringham estate when the photo was taken- whether that counts as a public road? Please discuss!

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Cris_on_the_gas

Firstly seat belt offence is not endorseable so no points put on licence but subject to max £500 fine.

Regarding a Public road the act applies on Public highway and private land where the public have access by payment or other means. Typically a supermarket car park is private land but the public have access so a seat belt is required. If the Sandringham estate is closed to the Public then no belt required.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - RT

He was within the gates of the Sandringham estate when the photo was taken- whether that counts as a public road? Please discuss!

He was pictured on the public road going into Sandringham.

He was pictured on the public road going into Sandringham.

He's obviously a silly old f*** as well as half-blind.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - gordonbennet

Must be a nightmare to be in the public eye for so many years, the HRH must be thoroughly cheesed off, he comes from an era long before the H&S industry instilled itself into every part of our lives so probably quite naturally ignores most of it.

That's quite without the hatred that pours out at any every opportunity towards non PC people (and long may they live and continue to upset the PC mob) of position such as HRH.

So what he drives around without a seatbelt, he's not harming anyone else, yes he might get away with it when it's an easy nick, for a bored copper if you can find one, for anyone else, but that comes with being who he is, and no i'm not in the least envious of him...he'd do better to get Landcruisers on the fleet instead of LandRovers mind :-))

Do we know if he was wearing his seatbelt when he crashed last week? It would appear (due to the lack of any injuries) that he was. So why the hell would he drive without one?

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - alastairq

Re-the seatbelt episode?

It's entirely possible The DoE has a medical exemption from wearing a seatbelt? These can be temporary as well as permanent.

[I know, I had a temporary Exemption Certificate following injury sustained due to wearing a seat belt. Lasted until I was signed off from outpatients.]

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - edlithgow

Re-the seatbelt episode?

It's entirely possible The DoE has a medical exemption from wearing a seatbelt? These can be temporary as well as permanent.

[I know, I had a temporary Exemption Certificate following injury sustained due to wearing a seat belt. Lasted until I was signed off from outpatients.]

My understanding is The DOE has (is?) a hereditary condition. The prognosis, IIRC, is that it will last until the rooks leave the Tower of London.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Bilboman

More details seem to be emerging about this case. If this jaw-dropping story - that royal cars routinely have seat belt reminders disabled (??!!??) - is actually true, it simply beggars belief. www.autoevolution.com/jaguar-land-rover-disables-s...l

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - Avant

I wonder if it's something to do with getting them out instantly if there's a terrorist attack. Even so, the risk of a crash is probably greater: Diana P of W might be alive today if she'd been wearing a seat belt when her car crashed.

Land Rover Range Rover Evoque - Royal Car Crash - John F

Diana P of W might be alive today if she'd been wearing a seat belt when her car crashed.

Almost certainly......alive and well. And the two dead men. And the surviving bodyguard would not have had to have the front of his skull rebuilt. The MB 'S' class crumpled as it should have done on impacts leaving the cabin virtually undistorted. It beggars belief that VIPs still often don't wear belts even when driven by drivers trained to drive like Adam Kirley.