Using UK reg car abroad long term - JohnnieWalker

Hi
Am thinking of using a UK registered car in Italy, where I live. I'm aware of the requirement to get it annually MOT'd in UK.
Never having done so before I'm curious about the insurance situation.

If one has a UK insurance policy, is it usually possible to pay a supplement on this in order to use the car abroad? (I imagine It's not possible to get an Italian policy for a non-Italy registered car...?)

Finally, given the above, is it possible to buy breakdown/recovery coverage in Italy on a UK registered/MOT'd car? If not, would a UK breakdown policy cover use in Italy(Europe) not solely for short-term/vacation coverage?
thanks

Using UK reg car abroad long term - SLO76
I believe I'm right in saying that you can only drive a UK registered car in another EU state for up to 6mths before you must register it in that country. Factor in the higher cost of insuring your car in another country longterm, the hassle and cost of having to repatriate it every year for a UK Mot and the extra risk of an accident which comes from driving on the wrong side of the car and I'd suggest selling your car before you go and buying one locally instead. There's plenty of cheap LHD metal around in Italy.
Using UK reg car abroad long term - TheGentlemanThug
I believe I'm right in saying that you can only drive a UK registered car in another EU state for up to 6mths before you must register it in that country. Factor in the higher cost of insuring your car in another country longterm, the hassle and cost of having to repatriate it every year for a UK Mot and the extra risk of an accident which comes from driving on the wrong side of the car and I'd suggest selling your car before you go and buying one locally instead. There's plenty of cheap LHD metal around in Italy.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Don't bother with a nice car in Italy. It'll get pranged and scratched as soon as you get it out on the road.

Using UK reg car abroad long term - Mike H

I live in Austria, and we brought our UK registered car with us, so I have first hand experience. Here, you have to register your car within one month if you are registered as having your main home here - and you have to go that within days of arrival.

There are people from the UK here who run UK registered cars for extended periods, but it's illegal. If the tax police (yes, they do have such things here) catch up with you, you'll have to pay all the ongoing excise duty due since you arrived, plus the import duty, plus a penalty of several times the import duty. The import duty here is based on the value of the car and the emissions.

Obviously it may not be the same in Italy, but it was no problem re-registering the car and insuring it locally once it had the appropriate paperwork.

I live in Austria, and we brought our UK registered car with us, so I have first hand experience. Here, you have to register your car within one month if you are registered as having your main home here - and you have to go that within days of arrival.

There are people from the UK here who run UK registered cars for extended periods, but it's illegal. If the tax police (yes, they do have such things here) catch up with you, you'll have to pay all the ongoing excise duty due since you arrived, plus the import duty, plus a penalty of several times the import duty. The import duty here is based on the value of the car and the emissions.

Obviously it may not be the same in Italy, but it was no problem re-registering the car and insuring it locally once it had the appropriate paperwork.

Handy to know but the biggest difference is that in Australia you are parked on the correct side of the car, while in Italy a right hand drive car will be a safety risk and insurers will factor this into quotes. I've driven all over Europe and the standard driving in Italy is erratic to say the least. You need every favour in hand to avoid the locals and running a RHD car for longer than is necessary wouldn't be advisable.

Handy to know but the biggest difference is that in Australia you are parked on the correct side of the car, while in Italy a right hand drive car will be a safety risk and insurers will factor this into quotes. I've driven all over Europe and the standard driving in Italy is erratic to say the least. You need every favour in hand to avoid the locals and running a RHD car for longer than is necessary wouldn't be advisable.

There are no kangaroos in Austria SLO!! I'm talking about the country just north of Italy.... ;-)

"There are no kangaroos in Austria SLO!! I'm talking about the country just north of Italy.... ;-)"

Put glasses on before reading Sloan! Thought it was a hell of a way to take your motor.

Ah well, stay safe when overtaking anything then. At least the Austrians can drive which certainly lessens the challenge. 8-)

Edited by SLO76 on 16/08/2017 at 14:22

Using UK reg car abroad long term - pd

There won't be any import duty taking a car to Austria. Maybe some sort of registration tax but no import duty (not until March 2019 anyway!).

There won't be any import duty taking a car to Austria. Maybe some sort of registration tax but no import duty (not until March 2019 anyway!).

I was trying to keep it simple, perhaps the words are wrong but there's still a separate tax due on import in addition to the ongoing monthly "road tax" which is related to the power of the car. This tax is collected by the insurance company on behalf of the government.

Ah well, stay safe when overtaking anything then.

The RHD Saab we brought with us died a couple of years ago, we've got a LHD CRV now, that you and I have discussed the clutch on. The RHD drive was never really a problem TBH.

"At least the Austrians can drive which certainly lessens the challenge. 8-)"

Mmm, trouble is they can be very aggressive, and always need to be in front of everyone else, so lots of dangerous overtaking happens. The level of driving skill seems to be pretty good, but I say this only because despite their impatient aggressive driving there aren't more accidents. Anticipation, forethought and driving with consideration for others seems to be lacking.

Using UK reg car abroad long term - colinh

Think the situation in Spain is similar - if you're deemed to be tax resident there - i.e., live there more than 185 days per year, you must re-register the car within 30 days of achieving the change of tax status - also if you have a business there you must re-register:

murciatoday.com/changing-a-car-to-spanish-registra...l

Using UK reg car abroad long term - RT

AFAIK - the six months limit as a visitor under international law requires that you return home within the six months limit - residency depends on local legislation but can't exceed the six months.

Using UK reg car abroad long term - NAthan smith
Tax police and Italy in the same sentence....no!