VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - Stanb Sevento

It looks as if VAG are now offering a warranty on cars affected by the NOx emissions scandal. They call it “goodwill” rather than warranty, it lasts for 24 months from the date the fix was applied and covers fuel injectors and high pressure pump, EGR valve and all exhaust after treatment hardware. Still no admission of guilt and they should have done this a year ago.

While this is the right thing for VAG to do Im sure its only happening because of the rising tide of angry customers with broken cars and the diminishing numbers of those willing to let VAG near their cars

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - Engineer Andy

Given the large number of people who have bought common rail diesel cars from VAG that were affected and equally the number of them who did so for use on primarily short journeys, I think VAG are going to suffer from even more financial woes in the next few years. Personally I have little sympathy with either, especially when evidence was out there at the time when these cars were bought about the problems of using them in such a way.

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - SLO76
Word is out on the post fix problems, they're struggling to get owners to come forward and have it carried out now and rightly so. My wee Polo is certainly the worse for having it done despite the promises. No reliability issues yet, but turbo lag has increased and it's going through a far higher rate of DPF regens which can't help longterm durability.
VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - sandy56

As a company VAG have a long history of illegal and corrupt behaviour. WHy anyone would buy one of their cars is beyond me.

If we decided not to have anything to do with any organisation that had ever been dishonest and corrupt then we would have to disown our government and have nothing to do with just about every religion on the planet.

Which car maker do you recommend ?

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 05/06/2017 at 00:19

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - RT

If we decided not to have anything to do with any organisation that had ever been dishonest and corrupt then we would have to disown our government and have nothing to do with just about every religion on the planet.

And few people can go very far back in their family tree before finding the same issue!

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - madf

And few people can go very far back in their family tree before finding the same issue!

One of my relatives was hung for cattle thieving in the Borders.

(To which the retort is" only one was hung?" :-)

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - alan1302

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Me too

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - Deft

My Scirocco is due an emissions fix, so I guess they will try to do it when I get it serviced next month. My current thought is to tell them not to - as I can see no apparent upside to me as the end user....is there any? My car is 7 years old / 70,000 miles so is probably due some DPF or EGR grief - and I'd rather know it was "natural" rather than emissions fix related. Haven't had any issues with the 2.0L diesel engine on it so far.

Presumably VAG have some quota to meet to apply the fix? Otherwise I can't see there is much in it for them other than grief by the sounds of it.

I see your dilema Deft.The only up side is you get two years of replacement parts, thats it

Dont assume you will get trouble just because you have done 70K, many get double that and more. If the car has been allowed to regenerate when it needs to it can og on a long time.. Any garage can check the health of the BPF, you may be surprised how little of its capacity is used.

Its cars of your age and mileage that seem to suffer most from the fix, later ones seem to be less affected. Thats just my observation. I have heared a romour that VAG will be fined for all the cars left unfixed, but thats just romour. Im not getting mine done, not yet anyway (3 years old ) I will wait and see and the two years good will starts from the date of the fix.

Best of luck.

I see your dilema Deft.The only up side is you get two years of replacement parts, thats it

Dont assume you will get trouble just because you have done 70K, many get double that and more. If the car has been allowed to regenerate when it needs to it can og on a long time.. Any garage can check the health of the BPF, you may be surprised how little of its capacity is used.

Its cars of your age and mileage that seem to suffer most from the fix, later ones seem to be less affected. Thats just my observation. I have heared a romour that VAG will be fined for all the cars left unfixed, but thats just romour. Im not getting mine done, not yet anyway (3 years old ) I will wait and see and the two years good will starts from the date of the fix.

Best of luck.

What annoys me is that the 'fix' is not mandatory in law - VAG broke the law by using ECU software to ensure vehicles that wouldn't have been Euro? certificated if it was removed, so why is the fix only optional (at least in the UK)? It should be that any vehicle without the fix should fail its next MOT and not be allowed back on the road (aside driving to the nearest dealership) until it is.

I realise that many people have complained about problems arising from the fix, but, rather than VAG paying huge fines to governments, I'd rather they pay owners to fix the problems, whether by cash or replacement parts, unless it can be proven that the car has been driven mainly for short journeys by the nature of issues arising. This, at least, would either give owners compensation against lower resale values, or give some extra trade to dealerships/garages who do the repairs, and not wasteful governments where that money would soon disappear into the ether.

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - John F

What annoys me is that the 'fix' is not mandatory in law - VAG broke the law by using ECU software to ensure vehicles that wouldn't have been Euro? certificated if it was removed, so why is the fix only optional (at least in the UK)? It should be that any vehicle without the fix should fail its next MOT and not be allowed back on the road (aside driving to the nearest dealership) until it is.

No it shouldn't. One should not be forced into something that might well put one in a worse position. It seems that the wise advice 'if it works well, don't mend it' is particularly applicable in this sorry saga.

No it shouldn't. One should not be forced into something that might well put one in a worse position. It seems that the wise advice 'if it works well, don't mend it' is particularly applicable in this sorry saga.

1 - I did say people disadvantaged should recieve compensation or have enough components changed out so they aren't, and 2 - what's the whole point of emissions laws if car manufacturers and people can ignore them with impunity? Why bother dragging VAG through all this 'fix' spectacle when it would've been easier and cheaper for all concerned just to give them a big fine and be done with the whole matter?

Lets get a bit of perspective on this VAG did a bad thing and they are under the microscope for it but every maker has done a similar thing to achieve the same ends. the two major British brands included. they all cut down or turn off the emissions system for real world driving for both diesel and petrol cars. the tests done so far indicate VAG are far from the worst. Why do it? The cars use less fuel ,produce more power and last longer. Is it illegal? Yet to be proven, the regulations set out what the test is and what emissions the car must achieve during the test but it says nothing about the emissions out with the confines of the test. The regulations and the test are crap and not fit for purpose, car makers felt free to do as they wished and the EU didn’t care enough to do anything about it. Thats why VAG and all the rest of them can sit in front of our MPs and say they did nothing illegal.

If we are going to force VW owners then it must be owners of all brands. Also these are EURO5 cars and even cheating produce less emissions than pre 2009 cars. My own EURO5 car according to real world tests produces 3 times the NOx allowed in the test, this is actually better than many of the EURO6 cars currently being sold by other brands. Its a mess a real b***** mess. The new EURO6.1 standard comming in Sept I think includes real world standards, so expect even more changes.

I quite agree that not enough has been done to see whether other makes have done similar things as well. Sadly, I think more is being done in the name of politics (the US authorities suing the pants off VAG, just because their cars are cr@p but pass their emissions laws [in theory] and sell in less numbers than they used to [nice sop to Detroit]) than to save people from getting more respiratory disease, which I thought this was the whole point...

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - John F

Why bother dragging VAG through all this 'fix' spectacle when it would've been easier and cheaper for all concerned just to give them a big fine and be done with the whole matter?

Because lawyers rule the roost in Western society. There seem to be no checks and balances. I have just read that 40yrs ago there were a mere 35,000 or so UK solicitors, now there are 175,000. Goodness knows how many there are in Brussels and Strasbourg eagerly slurping the gravy train. As for the USA..... Discernible useful economic activity is slowly being paralysed by expensive bureaucracy.

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - Avant

"The regulations and the test are crap and not fit for purpose...."

Well said Stanb - that isn't being said nearly often enough. It's typical of the mentality of men in suits who commute into the cities by train and hardly ever drive. Someone has told them that because driving conditions vary, you can't test for fuel consumption by real-life driving. So you do it in a lab instead - identical conditions, but identically wrong results.

Of course the manufacturers will adjust their engines to perform to best advantage in the tests: if the reults are meaningless anyway, what have they got to lose?

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - RT

"The regulations and the test are crap and not fit for purpose...."

Well said Stanb - that isn't being said nearly often enough. It's typical of the mentality of men in suits who commute into the cities by train and hardly ever drive. Someone has told them that because driving conditions vary, you can't test for fuel consumption by real-life driving. So you do it in a lab instead - identical conditions, but identically wrong results.

Of course the manufacturers will adjust their engines to perform to best advantage in the tests: if the reults are meaningless anyway, what have they got to lose?

It's not the laboratory simulation of the theoretical driving route/patter that's the issue - yes, there are anomalies like sealing door gaps but the lab test eliminates many variables.

The problem is that the theoretical driving route/pattern bears no relationship to any form of average of real drivers in real traffic conditions.

VAG - Two years of goodwill from VAG-Whatever next? - Avant

"The problem is that the theoretical driving route/pattern bears no relationship to any form of average of real drivers in real traffic conditions."

Yes, that's exactly what I meant - the results are meaningless for that reason.