BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - De Sisti

I've just taken out a policy with SAGA and scrolled through the T and Cs; and under the term Use;

Use for social, domestic and pleasure (SDP), excluding commuting...
This means that the vehicle cannot be used:
* to travel to and from work. [/I]

I will be contacting them as soon as possible to challenge this, and if necessary cancel the policy.

Has anyone had such an exclusion in their insurance policy?

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - ExA35Owner

It's not uncommon. Commuting raises the risk and therefore is a worse bargain for the insurers; they may therefore reasonably want a higher premium. You'll probably find they'll offer commuting cover for a small additional cost.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - RobJP

I assume you got the policy through a price comparison site.

In which case, exactly what was (or was not) covered will have been made clear to you PRIOR to you taking out the policy. If you didn't bother reading that, then your own fault.

"Cheap for a reason" is the saying that comes to mind.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - TedCrilly

I've just taken out a policy with SAGA and scrolled through the T and Cs; and under the term Use;

Use for social, domestic and pleasure (SDP), excluding commuting...
This means that the vehicle cannot be used:
* to travel to and from work. [/I]

I will be contacting them as soon as possible to challenge this, and if necessary cancel the policy.

Has anyone had such an exclusion in their insurance policy?

Yes.... my ensure policy has the same exclusion.

But....on the flipside why should I pay for the risks associated with commuting when I am retired?

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - SLO76
Quite common and the police recently had a crackdown on it in my area. Pulling cars over at random during the morning commute and checking drivers are insured to travel to and from work on their policies. Most drivers who were stopped were caught totally unaware. If I'm honest I wasn't aware either which yes is partly my fault for not reading though all of the terms and conditions on my policy before agreeing to it. I always assumed any fully comp policy would cover you to travel to work, especially if you're of working age. It's just another sneaky ploy from the insurance industry to wriggle out of or greatly reduce payouts and should be stamped on by the authorities. If you are not using the vehicle to travel to work then you should have to opt out of that cover and be rewarded with a lower price.

Further to this I noticed on my last policy docs that it mentioned only social and domestic with nothing said about commuting to and from work. A quick (well 15mins on hold) call to verify and it turns out this firm did include it as standard. I don't recall any mention of it on the online form.
BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - focussed

"It's just another sneaky ploy from the insurance industry to wriggle out of or greatly reduce payouts and should be stamped on by the authorities. If you are not using the vehicle to travel to work then you should have to opt out of that cover and be rewarded with a lower price"

I quite agree - the UK vehicle insurance industry is well overdue a good overhaul - no chance of that with a Selfservative government though.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - RobJP

"It's just another sneaky ploy from the insurance industry to wriggle out of or greatly reduce payouts and should be stamped on by the authorities. If you are not using the vehicle to travel to work then you should have to opt out of that cover and be rewarded with a lower price"

I quite agree - the UK vehicle insurance industry is well overdue a good overhaul - no chance of that with a Selfservative government though.

Nonsense. It's done so that quotes on the price comparison sites are cheaper. Because everyone looks at insurance purely by price these days.

To try to turn it into some political football is stupid.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - RT

BS - why should retired folk pay for commuting they don't need ?

Opt in or opt out? That's why there's competition - some insurers include foreign travel, other add it on - again that suits those who don't go abroad - same with business cover.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - RT

it's a normal exclusion if you don't ask for it - it reduces premiums.

Your proposal will probably have declared that the car is ONLY used for Social, Domestic & Pleasure - you should have ticked one of the other boxes.

If you mount a challenge, I fear you're on a hiding to nothing - you may have cancellation rights within 14 days, paying just for the days covered - they may agree to amend the policy but expect an increase in premium.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - bathtub tom

I'm retired and have social, domestic and pleasure only on my policy.

One strange exclusion is airfields. Means I can't visit Duxford.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - gordonbennet

Wifey is with Saga and have found them good to deal with, helpful when needed, and so far after several years the renewals are so sensibly priced that it's not worth going elsewhere.

Interestingly when she checked her policy covers her on third party basis, to drive a friends car to help them out while friends husband is having extended time hospital oupatient visits, she discovered not only does her policy cover her for driving other cars (already insured) on a third party basis, it also covers her spouse, me, not sure if that's usual or not, never needed to check that cover out before.

I'm sure they'll soon add the commuting cover if you ask.

You really have to be careful on comparison sites, make sure you are not comparing apples with oranges, i use them but seldom is it worth changing companies, i get the feeling that decent insurers seem to be trying harder to retain current hopefully good risks instead of just discounting heavily for new business, just wish NFU would get with it.

I could get classic insurance on the old Merc this year but to include commuting put it more expensive than a second comp policy with two years NCD, so still on normal insurance with that.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/04/2017 at 11:35

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - Middleman

Why do you suggest you are going to “challenge” this? The restriction is a perfectly normal one. You may have ticked the wrong box (or failed to tick the right one) but there is nothing to challenge. You need to either get the policy amended (and pay the appropriate additional premium) or cancel it. If you decide to cancel it you should check the Ts & Cs before you do as you may find it costs you more to cancel than it does to modify the policy.

“One strange exclusion is airfields. Means I can't visit Duxford.”

If it’s the same as mine it probably reads something like this (under General Excusions):

“Any liability, injury, damage or accident while the vehicle is parked or is being driven in any part of an airport or airfield set aside for: n moving, taking off or landing of aircraft; in aircraft parking areas and associated roads, and ground equipment parking, maintenance and refuelling areas; n Customs examination areas of passenger terminals.”

So unless you intend parking or driving on the runway, taxiway, apron or in a hangar at Duxford you should be OK.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - Bromptonaut

Whenever I've bought had quotes for insurance I've always been given options about use type. These range from Social Domestic and PLeasure (excluding commuting to work) up to including business use options for self and/or partner.

In this case, unless there has been a genuine mistake by the company the OP's only option is to 'put his hand up' and admit ticking wrong boxes. Hopefully addition for adding commuting to SD&P will not be too much.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - scot22

As nearly everyone has said - its perfectly normal and above board.

I've with SAGA and retired - no need for commuting so don't pay for it.

Decided to make the effort this year to have a price comparison : could have for £10 less with slightly less cover. However, reassured me I'm not wasting money.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - SteVee

After reading this, I thought I'd check the new certificate I had from Admiral. I have full business insurance with Admiral (because I claim mileage); but it does exclude travel between home and permanent place of business (I'm a homeworker though).
Strangely, my wife's certificate (it's their multi-car policy) does NOT have the same exclusion, I guess because she's not a homeworker.

You really do need to read these certificates carefully. I would need to be careful if my work changed.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - glidermania

You can have SD&P, SD&P including commuting to permanent place of work, SD&P, commuting and travel in connection with work or SD&P including business use.

You just need to select the one that covers you properly.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - De Sisti

I contacted SAGA and explained the fact that I made an honest mistake in not asking for social and domestic pleasure and commuting. As a consequence of initally trying to set up the insurance; my documents didn't arrive. I phoned SAGA, who should have adhered to their guidelines and explained to me what was in the policy. They didn't. My email to the CEO was passed onto their customer services, who re-imburesed the initial fee I paid and only charged me for the few days the policy was in force.

Oh, I moved to a different company.

BMW 3 Series Touring - Insurance exclusions - HGV ~ P Valentine

You always have to look at the terms and conditions, the main points are usually highlighted by putting them first, and the detail is in the policy, I personally hate insurance companies and have lost 18 mths no claims because of their stupid rules, or terms and conditions as they call them.

But to answer your question, yes you are correct you are not covered to commute to work, it does exactly what is sais on the tin, the only option they will give you is to cancel the policy and open a new one, which will cost, you must make sure it sais social, domestic and commuting to work even if you are not currently working. unless of course you are of an age where you are retired and never intend to go back to work, ever.

My story,

I do agency driving work, and as such may do diff shifts depending on the assignment I am offered, sometimes its nights, afternoons or days, now I would not in my earlier years have said anything but I dont know if its a sign of me getting older but I do keep them informed of change of work patterns, which I did.

Asda 5 star insurance

The work place had a 12 foot fence all around it, a gate of the same height as the fence, a heavy duty chain and secured with a hevy duty expensive padlock, with limited key holders as in single figures, and oh covered by CCTV, as well as drivers coming in and out at no specific intervals.

My home, street parking, where anyone has access to the outside of the car.

Asda gave me 24 hours to get new insurance because they said the policy only covered me if it was parked outside my house at night time.

Wise driving.

Those lovely people cancelled my insurance without telling me at all, they had my mobile number for texting and calling, my email and my address, but made no effort to contact me, at all.

They asked for the V5, I told them I was waiting for it to come back from DVSA and would forward as soon as I got it back, I had just changed my address, I only found out because I went online to check my driving score and noticed there was no data and the expiry date of the policy was this year. Oh and only after I got th epolicy despite me telling them I worked nights for now, did they inform me that my driving score would be reduced if I finished work before 0500 hrs, my suspicious mid makes me think they didnt like to insure someone who got a 95 score, but thats prob just my suspicious mind, prob ?

The point really is that they made no effort to contact me, as I said to them I would have driven the V5 to there office or gone to the post office and faxed it over, if they did not like the ideas of sending it as an email attachment.

Both companies are underwritten by The Close Brothers.

I am now with debenhams.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 01/05/2017 at 18:05