Aygo 2014 - old style - Aygo brake disc condition - Rumpole_Stiltskin

Just got my car serviced and am being told that my discs are in need of urgently being replaced.

I'm being told that they are heavily corroded and there is a lip starting to form.

Obviously I don't want to have to replace them if there is no need and am cautious about what a dealership tells me.

Could some of you let me know what your opinion is based on this photo please:

www.dropbox.com/s/zfqovphhq4553va/Aygo%20Brakes.jp...0

Thanks in advance

Aygo 2014 - old style - Aygo brake disc condition - daveyjp
How many miles? Ours did 12,000 before the disks were absolutely shot. It was down to lack of use and poor materials. The fins had rusted, but why a low powered city cars needs vented disks is anyone's guess.
Aygo 2014 - old style - Aygo brake disc condition - elekie&a/c doctor
I have seen a lot worse,and passed an mot without issue.unless they are worn very thin,I would be inclined to leave alone.
Aygo 2014 - old style - Aygo brake disc condition - gordonbennet

That looks to me like the pad has only been working properly on about 60% of the disc, unless i'm not seeing what i think i am.

I would change them, i have sitting in the garage a full set of Brembo discs and pads that came from CP4L for the family Aygo waiting till the owner can call in when i'm off work to fit them, at the princely cost of £64 delivered all in, cheap as chips and easy to change.

This will be the third set of discs and pads its had from new, the car is one of the heaviest i've ever known on disc wear, quite why this is i don't know, the present set have a wear lip of around 2/3mm.

The last 2 sets were both genuine Toyota so we'll see how the Brembos compare, my first dabble into Brembos too.

Autosessive have one of their sales on, and Delphi discs and pads are the same price free del, i haven't looked elsewhere and only use good aftermarket brands, you might beat those prices but it won't be by much if at all, Delphi are well regarded.

If this is your first time don't be afraid to have a go at fitting them youself, a good jack, axle stands (though for years i used sturdy tree stumps) a socket set and few usual tools like pliers, decent screwdrivers etc, dab of coppaslip and some proper red brake grease and you're all set.

You'll find dozens of easy to follow videos on youtube if you fancy having a go.

I was thinking of having a go and doing it myself as it looks easy but the family are expert nay sayers.

If it wasn't brakes I'd probably give it a go, I guess 50 quid at my local might be worth the peice of mind, but I'm sure I could do it.

If it wasn't brakes I'd probably give it a go, I guess 50 quid at my local might be worth the peice of mind, but I'm sure I could do it.

Garage the family uses near where they live quoted £200, cos daughter wasn't too sure whether she could fit in getting up here to have them done, that quote and my free labour price means i've got the job..:-)

I see from your other post about MOT's this is the first one, that was the reason our car had genuine parts fitted by me previously, because i didn't want to give them any excuse to deny warranty if for example a caliper or wheel bearing failed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2017 at 16:50

Funny, I was looking at getting either Pagid or Brembo as a replacements. Amazon seems to have a bit of a sale on atm so around the same price.

Even if it is braking on 60% it stops fine so I figure based on whats been said in the thread so far it can wait 2 months until MOT time.

Aygo 2014 - old style - Aygo brake disc condition - RichardW

I'd leave alone for now, but plan on new discs when the pads wear out, or if it starts making horrible noises!

30k. But I got it 2nd hand so I'm not sure if this is the original set.