Breakdown recovery - P3t3r

I renewed my insurance recently and decided to not renew the breakdown recovery this time. I came to the conclusion that they must be making money from it and I can probably just phone a breakdown recovery place if/when I need it. The cheaper policies don't cover much, eg. must be x miles from home and others can get very expensive.

I've only called out a recovery vehicle once and have been driving for 15 years. If you work that out at £30 x 15 = £450. So that callout cost me £450 and at that price they would only do it away from home.

What do you think? Do you pay for recovery?

Breakdown recovery - gordonbennet

Autoaid, a proper get you home service for around £43.

It used to be a pay and reclaim policy, thats no longer the case and i'm none too sure if this change is a good thing, if you know you have to pay out, and lets be honest there would always be in the back of your mind that they might reject it, then you'd take care to mitigate yours and the company's losses, now with no paying out risk i suspect there will be a higher percentage of long distance tow ins, maybe because people wil risk unsuitable vehicles for long journeys, so i'm none too sure the cheap rate will last.

Breakdown recovery - Bromptonaut

Been in either National Breakdown/Green Flag or Britannia rescue since first car in 1982.

Honestly cannot remember how many call outs I've had. While I'd perhaps take the hit for 'dead key' and tyre incidents long distance recovery as when my Xantia threw it's cambelt would be bank breakers.

Being able to make one call and get taken all the way home isn't something I'd willingly give up.

Breakdown recovery - Big John

We use a Nationwide Flex plus account , £10 month for a joint account (120/year for both of us)

Covers two of our cars (1 each because it's a joint account) for anyone to drive and covers myself and my wife in any UK registered car. European driving included (which we use!). Works well - my son tested it after leaving the lights on overnight in our old Octavia.

Also gives us travel insurance, mobile phone insurance (which my son also tried out after smashing his mobile phone screen)

Breakdown insurance can be relatively cheap but recovery can be very expensive - my sister had a clutch fail on her Mondeo in Yorkshire and was recovered back to Bristol. She uses GEM claimback, who were great, but the bill she claimed back was over £700. I would never be without it

Edited by Big John on 19/03/2017 at 23:05

Breakdown recovery - Ian_SW
The RAC (and I think the AA) allow you to join at the side of the road when broken down, but it does cost a bit more than joining in the usual way. A colleague had to do this a few years ago and said that it was more expensive, but not extortionately so.
The problem with breakdown cover is that you have to pay for everyone who can't change their own wheels, runs out of petrol, loses their keys, doesn't check oil levels and ignores intermittent faults until the car dies entirely.

Until recently, I only had breakdown cover in about 3 of the last 15 years, and only then when it came free with a car I bought, and one year I added it by accident to an insurance policy. In that time, I've had five punctures, all of which I had no problem changing the wheel, and the car has never failed to start/go. I have used recovery once after a the last inch of a spring broke off when I went in a large pothole. The spring looked like it had settled back in a secure enough place to drive the car the 20 miles slowly back home. However, as that was the year I'd accidentally bought the breakdown cover, I decided to call them out to get my money's worth and not risk damaging the brand new tyre.

As my current car has no spare wheel, and we have a young child, I have now joined the RAC, but mainly for the simplicity of getting recovery in the unlikely event I get a puncture at night on the motorway with a toddler in the car.

Breakdown recovery - Avant

But what do you do, Skodalan, if you have a puncture, not on a motorway, but on one of the 30,000 miles of road in the UK where there's no mobile coverage? I strongly suggest you get a spare wheel.

Breakdown recovery - Krystian

Hey,

I face similar dillema. I use ford mondeo 2011, 2.0 and so far I haven't been having any problems with it - so it is kind of a feeling I've been paying for nothing.

Which UK company would you recommend that offers decent terms and price? If the price would be low enough I would probably renew recovery, just in case.

Best,
Krystian

Breakdown recovery - skidpan

Every time this comes up I say the same thing.

We use Aviva Rescue who send out the RAC. You don't have to be insurred with Aviva but you get a small discount if you are.

Me and the wife have joint personal cover which covers us for whatever car we are driving or passenger in. All for about £60 a year.

On the 2 times we have called them (in the past 12 years) they have arrived within the hour and both times taken us to our preferred garage (repairs were not possible roadside).

Top service.

Breakdown recovery - Krystian

Is it £60 per person, or both of you are covered?

I am asking as I have found the whole package (including Europe assistance) for £54.9 here - www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown-cover

Do you know if it is a decent company?

Breakdown recovery - RT

Every time this comes up I say the same thing.

We use Aviva Rescue who send out the RAC. You don't have to be insurred with Aviva but you get a small discount if you are.

Me and the wife have joint personal cover which covers us for whatever car we are driving or passenger in. All for about £60 a year.

On the 2 times we have called them (in the past 12 years) they have arrived within the hour and both times taken us to our preferred garage (repairs were not possible roadside).

Top service.

Problem with the RAC and some others is that they insist on sending a patrol out to assess the issue, which can be delayed/prolonged at peak times but only when that's done will the organise recovery, often requiring a flatbed as 4wd cars automatic 4wd cars can't be towed, either flat or on spectacles.

Over a long period, my only three breakdowns have required flatbed recovery - fortunately I'm with Green Flag who can be persuaded to send a flatbed out directly if the owner has done enough diagnosis of the problem.

I had dual cover for my last breakdown - RAC on the new car warranty and Green Flag had been retained - RAC were busy that day and estimated 5 hours to attend with a patrol and then further wait for a flatbed - Green Flag were there in 50 minutes with a flatbed.

Guess who I recommend - and who I won't.

Breakdown recovery - Stanb Sevento

Have a very cheap recovery for my motorcycle, its only £25 a year but you have to pay £40 if you call them out. After 25 years of motorcycling I got fed up paying more and never using so on balance thought this was better. Car cover is the same.

Breakdown recovery - Steveieb
After a breakdown 60 miles from home on the busiest hottest day of the year I can only praise
The service from LV Brittania rescue. Car at my repairer in 4 hours, minus me and the dog as the agent would not allow a dog to travel.
That's where Start rescue scores they are the only company I have found without a no pet to travel policy.
But I get my LV Brittania as part of my Nationwide Flexplus account which works out at £4 a month if you keep £2500 in balance and also covers worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone cover.
The difference with Nationwide is that they do not quibble when making a claim.

The agent told me that if they get several jobs they go to Brittania first as they are the fastest to pay!
Q E D!
Breakdown recovery - Terry W

I have green flag as part of a set of bundled extras on a bank account.

The last time I used a breakdown service must be 20+ years. Like insiurance companies generally, they lure you in with cheap rates and then seek to rip you off. However 20 years at (say) £50 pa is a £1000.

So in a way breakdown insurance is a waste of money for me ........... but at 10pm on a wet November night I do not want to try finding someone to call out.

Breakdown recovery - nellyjak

Yep...it's the old chestnut innit.?...paying for something you never use.

BUT...it's insurance..and you never really WANT to have to use it do you.?

I use Drive 24/7...covers both our cars fully (one with key assist) for £76 per annum.

I've never been without it...and yet NEVER had to use it,.

But as has been said...It's reassuring to know that I have a "go to" company that I can call upon easily should I have problems.

I never had cause to call the Breakdown when I drove a Honda but within a couple of months Of buying a Renault Espace I knew all the recovery teams personally. On one occasion I called them twice within an hour.
The recovery companies know which cars are trouble so maybe the fees should be weighted accordingly
Breakdown recovery - SLO76
I never had cause to call the Breakdown when I drove a Honda but within a couple of months Of buying a Renault Espace I knew all the recovery teams personally. On one occasion I called them twice within an hour. The recovery companies know which cars are trouble so maybe the fees should be weighted accordingly

Risk is normally priced into insurance based products and it would certainly be an added incentive for automakers to buck their ideas up. We used to have to pay extra for warranties on certain models such as the Citroen XM, Maserati's Range Rovers and a fair number of others including and rather unfairly the Rover 800 which was actually pretty reliable in general.. if looked after.
Breakdown recovery - Galaxy

I know of a main dealer who are agents for both Honda and Renault.

The service manager told a friend of mine that, if it wasn't for Renault, their service department wouldn't have anything to do!

I know of a main dealer who are agents for both Honda and Renault.

The service manager told a friend of mine that, if it wasn't for Renault, their service department wouldn't have anything to do!

Don't Honda's need servicing?

Breakdown recovery - Galaxy

Yes, of course they do!

The point I was making, as I'm sure you are well aware, is that, by-and-large, the Hondas don't go wrong. The same, however, can't be said for the Renaults.

The point I was making, as I'm sure you are well aware, is that, by-and-large, the Hondas don't go wrong. The same, however, can't be said for the Renaults.

Any car can have problems but having looked at many surveys it does appear Renaults are way behind Hondas. Surveys or forums are not always the best guide though since the happy owners rarely search them out and moan whereas the unhappy ones are on all the time. Nissan's BMW's and Seats are never near the top of any list but the 5 we have had have all been pretty much trouble free, certainly nothing to moan about.

But have you considered that the dealer may sell far more Renault's than Honda's which will then generate far more workshop time.

Breakdown recovery - Mike H
On one occasion I called them twice within an hour.

Many years ago we had the need to call out the RAC for both of our cars within a few hours of each other. Unfortunately it was the same patrolman who attended both! His parting shot was "You haven't got any more cars have ýou sir?"!

Breakdown recovery - FiestaOwner

When I get my Fiesta serviced at a Ford dealer they provide breakdown cover until the next service is due (12,500 miles or 1 year). If you're a week late (or go over the mileage) you've no cover.

Quite a clever idea on Fords part, as it encourages you to get your servicing done through the dealer network (on older cars too).

The cover is provided by the AA.

Edited by FiestaOwner on 17/06/2017 at 11:55

Breakdown recovery - primus 1

I too have ford assist, had only one occasion to use it my one year old fiesta wouldn't start, we had just been doing the supermarket shop, and when we tried to start the car nothing happened, ( we had problems with this a couple of days earlier but the car always started, and was booked in at the dealers for them to have a look at) anyhoo, the aa man turned up after a couple of hours, and decided to tow it to the dealers, ( I should mention this was a Saturday afternoon) he organised a hire car there and then, and, we were fortunate that the hire car company ( enterprise) was just a short walk away, can't fault the ford assist breakdown, and although our car is out of warranty we use main dealer servicing, just so we get the added breakdown cover, .btw , it turned out to be a relay that was at fault,

I was surprised to see so many Recovery Companies using Renault or Iveco trucks when their main use according to the driver who recovered my girlfriend Peugeot told me that their main customers are those driving French or Italian cars!
Breakdown recovery - Wackyracer

Recently had a renewal notice from the RAC for £153.99. After getting some quotes elsewhere I called and told them I could get the same cover from Aviva (who I believe use the RAC service).

Although they wouldn't drop to below the £73.39 that Aviva quoted they offered £79.99 for 15months cover which works out at £64 for 12 months. Not bad for personal cover for 2 people.

Just done the same thing with my car insurance too and got it £53 cheaper without changing company.

Edited by Wackyracer on 15/09/2017 at 10:42

Breakdown recovery - joegrundy

For my very recent experience of European (and UK) rescue cover, see my recent thread 'Fracked in France'.

Although my cover is via NARPO at a very reasonable £75 a year (bet it goes up on renewal!) it's done by Call Assist. You can recognise their policies by the use of colours to describe the various levels of cover (purple, etc.).Looking at their website they offer their policies to be sold via third party organisations (e.g. NARPO) and I'm fairly sure that they are used by some manufacturers (e.g. MB).

I've had to use them a few times over the last four years (twice now for blown-off turbo pipes) and they've been superb. Only thing is (IMHO) that they pay about £3+ per mile for recovery, so the local contractor has little incentive to fix at roadside. I was recovered from Banbury (200 miles) when a pipe blew - it was fixed by my indy in less than an hour at no charge - but that recovery cost them nearly £800, as I understand it.

On the other hand, I called them out once when the engine undertray thing had partially detached, described the problem carefully on the phone, and they appropriately sent a mechanic with a van to fix it there and then (cable ties, I think) very quickly.

Years ago, I couldn't afford the luxury of breakdown cover and spent several unhappy hours roadside under the car. One occasion replacing a lost/broken throttle return spring with the spring from a biro and some rubber bands springs (see what I did there?) comes to mind. Now, I wouldn't be without it.

Breakdown recovery - joegrundy

PS: I haven't worked out yet what my 'rescue' cost the insurers, but it's at least £600 PLUS the cost of bringinging the car home and temporary storage by Pierre le merde mechanique. And 'priceless' as the advert says, being able to phone them in the UK and taxis, hotels, etc., are organised and pre-paid.

Most of the discussion has been about how much the cover as. But as I found out recently on a breakdown on the MI. My partners car was back at my repairers premises in 4 hours on one of the busiest days of the year.

Compare that with the family broken down next to me who were stilln at the service area at 3 the next morning still waiting.

Boost come top in Which and would have taken my dog which most of the other companies refuse to do.

Brittania do well as they serve mostly Health Service and Government employees who are maybe a little more straightforward when claiming. And they pay the recovery companies by return of post.