Key batteies - hillman

I replaced both key batteries (CR1620) some 4 months ago with ones bought from a well known retailer. Last week one failed to work the locks on the car in a town 15 miles from home. Fortunately I carry the spare key with me (after a similar occasion when I had to walk home). The batteries were of a make I didn't recognise. I went back to the shop and bought another two batteries, this time of the shop's own brand. I changed the one that was flat and then had to train both keys to use them on the alarm system (very laborious because I am cack handed). When I bought the car, and had new batteries fitted by the dealer, the batteries lasted years and never gave any trouble. Is the brand sold by the dealers superior ?

Key batteies - RobJP

What brand of battery were they ?

As with all these sort of things, the best brands tend to make the best batteries, they have a reputation to keep up.

I've always thought buying cheap for items like that to be a false economy. Most batteries we buy for torches, remotes, watches and the like are Panasonic.

Key batteies - hillman

I threw away the packaging so I don't know what the brand was but I know I didn't recognise it.. I would like to buy well known brands but I have to take what's available in the shop. The ones I'm using now are the brand of the shop chain.

Key batteies - kiss (keep it simple)

I have recently bought some Duracells off the auction site. Remarkably cheap, so time will tell if they are fakes or not.

Key batteies - Wackyracer

Coin cells have a best before date usually on the packaging, so I would guess maybe they were past their best when you got them?

Key batteies - alan1302

but I have to take what's available in the shop.

Why not buy online ort change your shop - plenty of places to get good quality batteries.

Key batteies - focussed

The two major brands that spring to mind for button batteries are Panasonic and Maxell.

Key batteies - Gibbo_Wirral

Are the buttons and housing OK? Do they need refurbishing? You can get kits off Ebay quite cheaply.

Or are the buttons inadvertently getting pressed in your pocket?

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 22/02/2017 at 13:07

Key batteies - bathtub tom

I once bought some Maxwell button cells off eBay, they lasted no time at all. I presume they were fakes.

Key batteies - alan1302

I once bought some Maxwell button cells off eBay, they lasted no time at all. I presume they were fakes.

Sounds like faxes as they make coffee normally ;-)

Key batteies - Avant

Maxwell.

If I were choosing a brand name to be relied on, I wouldn't go for that one. Or have we all forgotten Cap'n Bob?