Peugeot 308 - Tensioner/Alternator belt - Garry Grant

Just bought a used Peugeot 308 2L Bluehdi Auto reg Nov 2015 with 17000mls on the clock. After 2 days and 20 miles the engine warning light came on with the accompanying message "Engine fault : have the vehicle repaired". I immediately took it back to the Franchised garage I had just bought it from and who had fully serviced it prior to sale and their diagnostics revealed "P058D00 Battery voltage value invalid". From this information and running further tests the garage subsequently advised me : "Found movement in top tensioner - found very noisy; renewed alternator belt and tensioner as per TSB".

Got the car back now and seems OK but what do I know as I'm not car engine savvy. However having to renew alternator belts/tensioners on a car a little over a year old seems a little worrying. Maybe I'm just paranoid but anyone have any thoughts or advice as to whether this is not uncommon much appreciated as I still have a week or two left to return car for replacement if justified.

Peugeot 308 - Tensioner/Alternator belt - Galaxy

The clue is in "renewed alternator belt and tensioner as per TSB".

The fact that Peugeot, the vehicle manufacturer, have issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) means that there is a know problem with this component on this model. They have issued a TSB about the problem to all dealers with instructions as to how it must be fixed. The replacement part will almost certainly be of a slightly different design, which overcomes the problem.

Unless you are still having similar problems, OP, then I think you've probably got very little to worry about.

Peugeot 308 - Tensioner/Alternator belt - Garry Grant

Many many thanks Galaxy I had wondered what a TSB was.

Just a thought though, should the Franchised dealer not check for these things automatically before putting the car on their forecourt for re-sale.

Meantime you have eased my mind considerably so thanks again.

Peugeot 308 - Tensioner/Alternator belt - Galaxy

Just a thought though, should the Franchised dealer not check for these things automatically before putting the car on their forecourt for re-sale.

In an ideal world, yes, of course. But I'm afraid we don't live in one of those!