Audi S3 - Oil specifications - Billsboy

Can anyone explain the if any problems can arise by using different viscosity oils.

The car neded a top up and for reasons too long to explain, I checked with two Audi dealers which oil to use and one said Castrol Edge 5W/40 and the other said Shell Helix Ultra 5W/30.

When I discovered the oil that came with the car (Shell Helix 0W/30), the Dealer then confirmed that this too would be suitable.

At least all oils comply with the handbook recommendation of spec. VW504-00, but what differences do the vicosity variations make?

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - madf

Shell Helix is half the price of Castrol Edge so more dealer profit for Xastrol = like double...

Technically Helix is better...

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - skidpan

In our climate 0w 30, 5w 30 or 5w 40 will make little difference but the oil needs to have to correct manufacturers specification, you say yours is thus you will be fine.

Shell Helix is half the price of Castrol Edge

For pitties sake how much is Castrol Edge then. Our Kia dealer used to charge us £60 for 5 litres of Shell Helix (only once though). After that I bought a 5 litre can of oil to the correct Kia spec and left it in the footwell. Total MC3 was £22 for 5 litres.

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - RT

Shell Helix has about a dozen different variants - those two words define nothing. I'll disagree with Skidpan that there's little difference between 5W-30 and 5W-40 - it's enough to ruin a good engine!

To try to answer the OP - the car maker will have designed/developed the engine to run on a particular viscosity of oil, varying little around the world despite big variances in climate as the internal running temperature isn't affected much by ambient heat, that just generates more waste heat.

So if the car maker says xxx-30 then use a xxx-30 oil - the first number is the cold viscosity and better protection is given the lower the number, as the thinner oil will protect the engine quicker during start-up which is where most wear occurs - so if a maker specifies 5W-30 then 0W-30 can be used and IMO is better - but 10W-30 shouldn't be used and neither should 5W-40.

The oil recommendation should include an ACEA grade - that's even more important than viscosity as it affects things like catalysts and DPFs.

Recently, my cars have needed 5W-30 ACEA-C3 so I've used 0W-30 ACEA-C3.

In the case of VW Group cars, there's an additional layer of specification, eg VW 507.00 or whatever - but oil containers will have that marked on the back IF approved, along with other brands approvals - websites like Opie oil allow you to search by manufacturer approval code.

I'll disagree with Skidpan that there's little difference between 5W-30 and 5W-40 - it's enough to ruin a good engine!

Some manufactruers specify one oil viscosity. One example is Ford. 5w 30 is specified for all their engines with the exception of the Fiat unit in the Ka and VW unit in earlier Sharans. I have only use 5w 30 to the Ford spec in the recent Fords I have owned and would use nothing else.

Some manufacturers give a choice of viscocities dependant upon climate. One example is Nissan. The thinner oils are specified for the colder climates and the thicker for the hotter. The tables in the manuals clearly show that for the UK any of the grades will be OK since we sit slap bang in the middle climate wise.

For VAG cars I have always used the relevant spec oil but that oil comes in a variety of viscosities. In the Leon handbook it states the oil for my car is VW 502 00/VW 504 00 but there is no mention of viscosity. Opie sell oils for my car in anything between 0w 30 and 10w 40. Millers recomend both 5w 30 and 5w 40. Castrols oil selector recommends 0w 30. Shell 0w 30 and 5w 30. Halfords 5w30, 5w 40 and 0w 40. But since I still have some Total MC3 5w 30 in the garage and its meets VW 502 00 I would use that. Still costs only £20 for 5 litres.

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - Wackyracer

There is only one thing I would add to the argument of 30 weight versus 40 weight. They could have exactly the same kinematic value if the 30 weight is at the upper end of the designation and the 40 weight at the lower end. Hence neither would give better or worse lubrication.

30 weight cSt @100 9.3-12.5

40 weight cSt @100 12.5 - 16.3

Edited by Wackyracer on 22/12/2016 at 18:50

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - gordonbennet

Talking of oil prices i happened to be in a Soutth Wales main road service area yesterday, and noticed they have Mobil 1 oil for sale.

1 litre pack £24.99 and the larger pack (4 litres) a cool £74.99, wonder how much of either they sell there.

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - Wackyracer

Talking of oil prices i happened to be in a Soutth Wales main road service area yesterday, and noticed they have Mobil 1 oil for sale.

1 litre pack £24.99 and the larger pack (4 litres) a cool £74.99, wonder how much of either they sell there.

I've often wondered that myself, I expect to get 4 or 5 litres for £25. I have Mobil 1 0w40 in the Citroen at the moment but, only because I got it for sensible price.

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - jc2

Some manufactruers specify one oil viscosity. One example is Ford. 5w 30 is specified for all their engines with the exception of the Fiat unit in the Ka and VW unit in earlier Sharans. I have only use 5w 30 to the Ford spec in the recent Fords I have owned and would use nothing else.

Ford currently recommend 5W/20 for the majority of their engines and have done so for about three years now.

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - Mickel1992
I have the same problem

Ford currently recommend 5W/20 for the majority of their engines and have done so for about three years now.

Just looked on Fords website and the only vehicles specified to use 5w20 are American ones (which includes the Mustang sold in the UK and the 1.0 Ecoboost.

All other "European" Fords listed on the website still use 5w 30.

Edited by skidpan on 10/01/2017 at 15:53

Audi S3 - Oil specifications - jc2

Try the "driver's manual";5W/20 and has stated it for at least three years.Yes,I know 5W/30 is stated elsewhere-my dealer always tells me I should use 5W/30 till I show him the manual.

Try the "driver's manual";5W/20 and has stated it for at least three years.Yes,I know 5W/30 is stated elsewhere-my dealer always tells me I should use 5W/30 till I show him the manual.

Don't have a drivers manual since I don't currently own a Ford.

But the Caterham uses a 2 litre Focus Mk1 Zetec engine and the spec for the oil has always been 5w30 and that is what I will continue to use.