What's the best way for an American to arrange insurance in the UK?

My daughter is visiting from the US, where she holds a full American driving licence. She holds a full UK licence, but the address is incorrect and she can't renew in the US without a UK address. I would like her to be covered on my insurance and they are willing to do so, but I know it's illegal to drive on a licence with incorrect details. Would it be okay to use my home address to renew? Failing this, can you suggest other options to insure her on my car for a three week period.

Yes, use your address to renew her licence if she has no other address in the UK, but her best approach would probably be to hire a car. If she has a US licence, contact your insurer and see if they see that as acceptable. This is very much a grey area. It is very hard to arrange cover for a US (non EU) citizen on a UK policy.