I do 13,000 miles per year - should I go for a petrol car or the cheaper diesel version?

I do approximately 13,000 miles a year and quite a lot of motorway driving. I've seen a good deal for a 2016 Skoda Octravia vRS 2.0 TDI with only 2000 miles on the clock for £17,000 with a main dealer. I've also been given a reasonable part exchange value for my Skoda. I've had diesels for more than 20 years due to my mileage and type of driving. The VRS petrol I'm looking at is about £2000 more than a diesel. Would you go for a diesel or petrol? I intend to keep the car about three years or so.

Asked on 24 March 2018 by Paul Landon

The petrol will use more fuel. Eventually the diesel will need a new DPF, but that should be a long way off. So on the economics it's swinging towards the diesel. The petrol is a better drive though.