I'm being charged for a new windscreen on a van I hired - what should I do?

I hired a van to move house, but I'm now being charged for a replacement heated windscreen because of a 7mm x 3mm stone chip (which I believe could have been repaired). I was told when collecting the vehicle that insurance cover for glass and tyres couldn't be added and suspect a cosy relationship between the hire company and replacement glass companies. Communication has been difficult because the hire was booked privately through my fuel card company, with the hire firm through another company that's billing me. I'm looking to get an independent view from a trade body or ombudsman before referring the matter to the small claims court because the rental location had previously told me their additional insurance packages were available at collection.

Asked on 8 March 2018 by Adam Wright

Contact the office of fair trade: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-fair...g

Go back to the hire site and find the vehicle to see if it's had the windscreen repaired. If it has not, evidence it by way of a photograph and date it. Then advise them that you will offer on a "without prejudice basis" to arrange to have it repaired. I always photograph and video all the way round any vehicle I hire, whether it has damage or not. I suggest everyone do this. Advise your fuel card company that you dispute any claim made against you. Are they providing fuel on credit? If so, it may come under the Consumer Credit Regulations. As such, you may be able to ask for them to act on your behalf.