My 2011 Audi A3 is using a lot of oil - do I have any rights with the supplying dealer?

I bought a 2011 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI six months ago at 45,000 miles. I've used four litres of oil to cover 6000 miles since my purchase. This is just within the handbook tolerance but I'm concerned that oil consumption will increase and the engine will become choked if I keep this car. This engine seems to have been rectified FOC by Audi in the USA . Am I right to be concerned about this very high consumption and do I have any rights?

Asked on 11 July 2017 by Martin Beck

Yes, this EA888 engine and the similar 2.0-litre EA888 can have an oil consumption problem. The trouble is, in your case, it is not yet sufficiently severe to force the supplier to do something about it. However, you should write to the supplier expressing your concern, send your letter by Post Office Special Delivery, keep a copy and staple the certificate of posting to the copy so it becomes a matter of record that you did bring this to the dealer's attention at an early stage.