What petrol automatics would you recommend to replace my Volkswagen Passat?

I want to replace my 2010 Volkswagen Passat DSG with a similar sized petrol automatic. I have a budget of up to £25,000. Contenders at present include Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo. Are there any other cars you would recommend looking at?

Asked on 2 July 2017 by John Waterfall

Go for the Mazda 6. Has an excellent 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission. Never heard of any trouble with it. Ran one myself for a year and 14,000 miles. The Passat is DSG. The Mondeo is Powershift.