Introducing our new Real MPG iPhone app: Find out more | No thanks

I want to reject a used car but the dealer won't respond - what can I do?
I have just bought a second hand car from a dealer. I was told that the car would be half the price of the tax on my Audi which I part exchanged and the bhp was a lot higher (in fact it's 88 compared to the 105 on my Audi). I have now discovered that the brakes are scraping and making a hell of a noise. What can I do, can I reject the car? I keep contacting them but get no response. The car was purchased six days ago.

Asked on 18 June 2017 by paul roberts

Legally, you can reject it. But they might prove difficult. If it was less than £10k you can use Small Claims. If you do, and win, be sure to get a High Court Sheriff's order against the dealer's assets: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/