My Volkswagen has improved since the emissions fix - is this unusual?

We have a Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI which has had the software fix applied. Over the last month or so we've had a number of trips to London covering A and B roads using premium fuel and within the speed limits. Despite the negative comments I've seen with regard to MPG and performance our experience exceeds expectations, with MPG ranging from 71.4 to 77.6 mpg. Pretty good by any standards unless there is something seriously wrong with the MPG readout.

Asked on 9 June 2017 by T. Atkinson

Very many thanks for this positive report. It indicates to me that your Golf engine was in very good condition prior to the fix and basically in the condition that the fix was designed for. Problems occur where there is wear in fuel injectors, wear in the EGR valve stem, gummed up EGRs and soot-filled DPFs. That's when the fix doesn't work.