What engine will best match my 2004 Mondeo 2.0-litre Estate?

I'm looking to change my old manual 2004 Mondeo 2.0-litre Ghia Estate for the latest equivalent model. This appears to be the Titanium range, however, all I can find in the petrol model is the 1.5 T EcoBoost 160PS manual. I can find a 2.0 T EcoBoost 240PS but in automatic only. Have things moved so much in the 13 year gap to presume that a new 1.5 T EcoBoost would match up to my old 2.0-litre Ghia? If not, I'm prepared to consider an automatic if necessary.

Asked on 27 May 2017 by Ken Abbott

In the Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy the chain cam 2.0 Ecoboost engines always came with the 6-speed wet clutch Powershift transmission, though you can get a 250PS version in the Focus ST and ST Estate with a 6-speed manual. That might be the way to go. Alternatively, with less power, a 2.0 litre Skyactiv G petrol engine in a Mazda 6 estate, or the remarkable 1.4 TSI 150 engine in the Skoda Superb estate (I had 130mph in fourth gear in one of them on the Autobahn).