Would a BMW Isetta be suitable for a sixteen year old with a motorbike licence?

No. The law changed. He can only drive a 50cc quadruped or a 50cc 3 wheeler such as an Ape. When I was 15 I bought a 1959 Isetta 300 with a blanked out reverse from a scrapheap, got it running and MoT'd, and passed a special 3-wheeler test with no reversing. Unlike a motorbike and sidecar, I had to be accompanied on L plates. Then, soon as I was 17, I had to pass a full car test again. But all that has now been stopped. See: www.3wheelers.com/16.html