Are Halfords number plates legal?

I purchased a pair of number plates from Halfords, I believe it was the Hi Line option. I was reassured with this purchase that the plates were legal as they state on their website “We are registered with the DVLA as a number plate supplier, which means that all our new and replacement plates are completely road legal”. On 10 March 2017, I took my Honda CR-V for its service and MoT at a main Honda dealer. The dealership contacted me to advise their MoT tester would fail my cars MoT on its number plates as they did not comply with VOSA MoT regulations. They said that the characters on the number plate were formed using multiple strokes and that you can’t use multiple strokes, and you can’t use any colour but black on the characters, therefore using a grey stroke on top of a black stroke is not lawful. The MoT tester is fully aware that the plates were made by Halfords, a reputable company, and they were MoT compliant in every other way. I've contacted Halfords who maintain that their specialist advice is that the number plates are legal and the MoT tester is technically incorrect and should not have failed the plates. Halfords have refused to speak to the dealer. So who is correct?

Asked on 22 March 2017 by Gary S

An MoT inspector can fail a car on a matter of opinion, so your choices are to get another set of plates made up and go back to him or go to another MoT tester.