Can I get a refund on a used car that failed its MoT?

Can I get a refund on a car that failed its MoT and had previous advisories that they did not inform me of?

Asked on 9 December 2016 by kate

Answered by Honest John
Yes, legally, under the 2008 Consumer Protection Regulations, but it depends who you are dealing with. If a 'respectable' properly financed business you stand a chance. If a bunch of lawless ruffians, you don't. Law here:
Similar questions
I purchased a used car six weeks ago. The trader only gave me one month’s warranty as standard, but provided 12 months’ cover for an additional cost. Since buying the car it has been in and out of the...
I bought an eight month old car that developed a problem. The dealer fixed the issue, but I feel that I cannot trust the car now. Do I have a right to return the car, which I have only had three weeks?
Six months after buying a used car with a new MoT; I have found that it should not have passed due to missing plates that protect the sills. Where do I stand legally in getting compensation, so I can pay...

Ask Honest John

Value my car