Bought a used car that is now unroadworthy - what are my rights?

Six months after buying a used car with a new MoT; I have found that it should not have passed due to missing plates that protect the sills. Where do I stand legally in getting compensation, so I can pay for some new plates to be fitted

Asked on 23 November 2016 by john boyle

Answered by Honest John
Basically the illegal condition of the car preceded its sale to you and the evidence is there to see, so you can reject the car for a full refund, minus a reasonable allowance for your use of it that obviously depends on how many miles you did and what you paid in the first place. See:
Similar questions
Can I get a refund on a car that failed its MoT and had previous advisories that they did not inform me of?
I purchased a used car six weeks ago. The trader only gave me one month’s warranty as standard, but provided 12 months’ cover for an additional cost. Since buying the car it has been in and out of the...
I bought an eight month old car that developed a problem. The dealer fixed the issue, but I feel that I cannot trust the car now. Do I have a right to return the car, which I have only had three weeks?

Ask Honest John

Value my car