Used Audi A4 has cost me £3k in two years - is this normal?

I bought my 2011 A4 two years ago from an approved used Audi dealer. The car now has 55,000 miles on the clock and - while it was getting a new cam belt fitted - the dealer claim it also needs a new alternator. I have spent £3000 on maintenance on this car in the two years I have owned it. Is this normal?

Asked on 9 November 2016 by JC

I'm afraid that's not particularly unusual. Cam belt, tensioner an waterpump should have been £600 - £700. If the alternator bearing has failed then that might be because the aux belt (not the timing belt) was put back too tight. If the alternator simply stopped charging, then its a basic component failure.
Tags: