Which winter tyres are best for the Honda Civic?

My Honda Civic is on its original Continental PremiumContact 2 tyres, except for one which was replaced with a Continental SportContact 2 last year by the previous owner.

I am considering changing to winter or all-season tyres to improve grip and therefore safety in the cold weather. Having read your very positive comments about the Michelin Cross Climates on the HR-V, I am attracted to the idea of going with those, since I do not have space for storing wheels.

However, although four years old, the original tyres still look OK with 4-5mm of tread left.

The options I see are:

1. Just change to CrossClimates this year, and enjoy having four matched tyres plus whatever benefits they bring from this winter onward.

2. Keep using the current tyres until they are worn, and when there is a clearer-cut case for replacing them due to age, and then put all weather tyres on. This seems like a less wasteful option as I won't be throwing good tyres out too quickly.

What would you recommend? Are the CrossClimates so good as to be potentially worth throwing out good Continental summer tyres for?

Asked on 9 November 2016 by Ken

Depends on the weather. Cross Climates are brilliant all weather tyres offering better ride quality, lower noise and better steering feel as well as the cold weather benefits and with no penalty in wear rate or fuel economy. If we get a mild winter, you'll be okay on the Continentals. If we get a hard winter you'll wish you changed to Cross Climates.