Which size of winter tyres for an S-MAX?

I need real winter tyres (not all-season/cross-climate) for the annual ski trip in my new front wheel drive S-MAX. My good as new Dunlop Winter Sports are 225/55 R17, while the new car's summer tyres are 235/55 R17. Could I get away with the 225s? Don't want to take any risks.

Also, the new S-MAX is a PowerShift auto. The only choice is standard or sport settings. No option just to lock it into first or second where looking for traction on steep snow/ice slopes. Suggestions?

Probably can. I can't say more than that. The slightly narrower tread should help in snow. In snow, using cold weather tyres, to get the best reaction, switch off the traction control. Leave it on normally. Only switch it off in deep snow.