Ford C-MAX gearbox failure - what are my legal rights?

Seven months ago I bought a 2006 Ford C-MAX TDCI automatic, which only had 48,000 miles on the clock. I purchased the car from a local dealer and have covered 2000 miles since buying the car. Last night I experienced transmission failure and had to be recovered. Where do legally stand with Ford?

Do you have any advice you can give? Can I have any replacement 'box modified so it doesn't happen again?

Asked on 25 July 2016 by Steve long

You stand nowhere against Ford because the car is more than six years old and legally this is the responsibility of the dealer. Unfortunately, if you bought the car more then six months ago, you would have to prove that the dealer originally sold you a faulty car. The transmission itself cannot be modified to accept more torque, but the torque output of the engine could be restricted so the car is slower but the torque is not too much for the transmission to handle.