The DSG gearbox has failed in my Skoda Fabia, what should I do?

I bought an approved used 2016 plate Skoda Fabia DSG automatic last year, which had done 38,000 miles. After just over one year of ownership and less than 10,000 miles it requires a replacement gearbox at a cost of £5500.

The Skoda dealer mechanic has told me that there is nothing I could have done to prevent this from happening. Skoda UK is point blank refusing any goodwill contribution to help with the repair, so we are faced with an astronomical repair bill or writing the car off. The car has a full service history and has only ever been serviced by Skoda.

I feel that the car was not fit for purpose when it was sold to me and would like some advice on my rights. What should I do?

Asked on 3 September 2021 by Scott

Your claim is against the dealer that sold you the car, not Skoda UK (they didn't sell you the vehicle direct).

You will need to prove the car was faulty at the time of sale. Obviously, as time passes, this becomes increasingly difficult. But if you can get an independent report from a gearbox specialist that states the failure was caused by a pre-existing problem then you may have grounds to hold the dealer responsible and argue the car is not of satisfactory quality.

For your consumer rights, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-cons.../