Which hothatch is best?

Thirty five years ago I owned a lovely Golf GTI Mk 1, I would like to experience again the thrill of owning and driving a small, grippy and nippy car in the form of a new five-door performance hatch.

I cover around 11,000 miles a year comprising mainly shortish (around 15 miles) local journeys plus some wider UK travel and continental motorway slogs involving drives of 500 miles every six months or so. My shortlist includes the latest Golf GTI, Audi S1 and Ford Focus ST2. I am disinclined to go for diesel due to the fact that shortish journeys will make up the bulk of my driving. What do you think?

Asked on 28 April 2016 by Steve Francis

The best is the Fiesta ST, but only three-doors. However, you can get a 5 door Audi S1, even though there's very little room in the back: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/audi/audi-s1-2014-.../ A SEAT Leon Cupra 280 is better value and faster than a Golf GTI: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/seat/seat-leon-st-.../ Early Focus STs had a dodgy diff: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/ford/ford-focus-st.../