Jaguar XJ - X350 - petrol or diesel?

Thinking of buying Jaguar XJ - X350 model. I drive about 250 miles per week, and wondered if the diesel made sense, or if the 3.0-litre V6 would be more reliable and increased fuel cost would be offset by less mechanical issues / cost of repairs?

Asked on 24 April 2016 by MarkDE

You're looking at an old car now, with issues, especially the 2.7 V6 diesel with two turbos that get very hot, two DPFs and quite a lot of expensive things to go wrong.

The excellent quad cam 3.0 Ford V6 is more reliable, but obviously a lot less economical. Reckon 40mpg from the 2,7 diesel and about 30mpg from the 3.0V6 petrol. Carefully check any of these cars for corrosion where the alloy meets the steel. See the car by car entry.