Used car caught fire after just 3 miles - Can I sue?

I recently bought a 2010 Mercedes S-Class 350CDI 7G-tronic from a local independent garage. I collected the car, but was forced to pull over after just three miles due to an engine fire. I called the fire brigade, but the despite their rapid response the car is a write-off.

Can you advise with regard to my rights with the supplier? Otherwise, without GAP insurance I stand to lose a significant amount.

Asked on 18 April 2016 by RoyS1950

It will be extremely difficult for the supplying dealer to deny full responsibility for this: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/ All you have to do is demand your money back and tell them if it is not immediately forthcoming you will sue.