Which small 4x4?

I currently drive an ageing BMW 320Ci Although I live in the Home Counties, my parents live in a hilly area of Wales and I am considering a used, economical 4x4 to ensure I can visit them and do their shopping, when the winter arrives. Do you have any suggestions as to a suitable vehicle to consider? My budget would be quite limited, I'm afraid (up to £3k).

Asked on 27 August 2015 by Will Evans

Fiat Panda 4x4 2005-2012 model: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/fiat/panda-4x4-2005/ Obviously nothing like as quick and relaxed on the motorway as a 320Ci, but hugely better in the snow.