Which £12,000 5-door diesel should I replace my Peugeot 306 with?

I currently own a X-reg (2000) Peugeot 306 HDI which needs changing before the next winter. I've done 300,000 miles in two 306s, so I fancy something with a bit more go. My normal annual mileage is 20,000 miles on A-roads in North Wales, with very little motorway driving. The 306 is about the right size. The new car needs to be diesel, with five doors and a good boot. I've got about £12,000 to blow. Any suggestions?

Asked on 6 July 2010 by Cymro69

Look at the Hyundai i30 1.6 CDTI 115, KIA Cee'd 1.6 CDTI 115 or Focus III 1.6 110 diesel.