Can I reject a used car over a lack of parking sensors?

I have bought an 11 month old BMW 1 Series from a main dealer. It was advertised as having front and rear parking sensors, but when I got home I discovered that the front sensors were missing.

I have part-exchanged my four year old 1 Series. Can I take this car back to them and get my old car back or claim compensation? I have a copy of the original advert.

Asked on 26 March 2015 by steviep147

The ad is an 'invitation to treat', so latitude is allowed over such matters, but if the invoice states front and rear parking sensors you can get your money back or compel the dealer to fit them. You can probably push the dealer to fit them anyway on the grounds you would not have paid, say, £200 extra for the car it it had not been advertised with front parking sensors.