Bought a faulty used car - what are my options?

Three weeks ago I bought a secondhand SsangYong Musso. The car was sold with a full MoT and said to be in full working order. However, after having the car serviced by a local mechanic, I've been told the car is not roadworthy.

I have taken pictures of the faults and have tried to contact the seller, but have not had any luck in speaking to him. I'd really appreciate your advice as to how to proceed. Yes I did buy an old car and didn't expect for it to have no problems but I did expect it to be road worthy and fit for purpose.

Asked on 16 March 2015 by buddybee4x4

Answered by Honest John
You have to sue the vendor for breach of contract for selling you an unroadworthy vehicle. Doesn't matter if he was private or trade, it's still a breach of contract.
Similar questions
I purchased a pre-reg Mazda MX-5 2.0-litre from a dealership with 170 miles on it in the summer of 2017. The handling got progressively worse and I took it back to the dealership for investigation a few...
I wrote to you a few weeks ago about a fuse box fire in our 2013 Volkswagen Passat, which we have owned for almost six months now. We got our car back from the dealer on 19 October and everything thing...
I recently purchased a 2008 Lexus IS 250 from a dealer. It has a fault that has been diagnosed as faulty VVTI controllers (cam gears). The dealer is rejecting my claim that the car was faulty when he sold...

Ask Honest John

Value my car