Faulty SEAT Ibiza - am I entitled to a refund?

Three months ago I bought a 2011 SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI with 180PS. Since then I have noticed that the car uses a lot of oil. About a litre every 1000 miles to be exact.

The garage I bought the car from has agreed to take it back and do a consumption test with a view to getting the warranty to pay for anything that is wrong with the car. Bear in mind the car shows no signs of blue smoke, there is no issues with how it drives, and no warning lights have appeared.

Am I right in believing if this car has a substantial fault and I have valid ground to ask for a replacement or refund?

Asked on 29 January 2015 by SenorTro

This model is notorious for this fault. It's why the model and Polo and Skoda equivalents were dropped. Skoda has even bought some of them back. An insured warranty can't legally pay for this because it is a fundamental problem of the engine that pre-existed the warranty. The dealer who sold you the car is liable. Law here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/