What can I replace my SEAT Ibiza with that can accommodate dogs for long trips?

I have two largish dogs that need transporting for their daily walks and an elderly mother who needs taking to the shops. I have managed with my SEAT Ibiza, which is approaching its third birthday early next year. I only rack up about 8000 miles per year, mainly social domestic. I've loved this little car's performance and economy but I need to change to a four-door with a more capacious boot to accommodate my pooches for longer trips. I don't mind new or secondhand with a good maintenance deal, but I don't have a fortune to spend. Have you got any advice about what car or SUV might best suit my needs?

Asked on 2 November 2013 by EH, Exeter

SEAT does an ST station wagon of the Ibiza: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests (FR models now at a £2000 discount). And Skoda has just launched a ‘Sportback’ version of its Rapid model, on the same floorpan as the Ibiza. Best engines are the 1.2 4-cylinder EA211 TSI 85 or 105, not the diesels.