Dream car or Budget, which comes first? Tell us your thoughts | No thanks

Which sporty coupe to replace my Mazda RX-8?

I am a 63-year old retired man currently driving a 2007 Mazda RX-8. I would like to change to a more economical car (VED is £460pa), but still a little sporty and maybe in a coupe style. I have in the past driven an XJS, a Hyundai coupe, and a Tigra. I play golf and cricket and need to fit in the required equipment. I occasionally travel to London and Exeter to see my children but mainly drive short distances of around 30 mins daily. I would like to part-ex my car. I am aware I’m not going to get much for it and would put £9,000 towards the swap. Can you help?

Asked on 8 June 2013 by JG, Burton

Trade book for a 2007 RX8 is a horrific £2250 - £2750 depending on the power output. It's almost worth putting a different engine in, somehow, like a Mazda MX-5 engine. You could think along the lines of a Volkswagen Scirocco 1.4TSI 122, a Volvo C30 1.6, or maybe even a Hyundai Veloster.