Which small car to replace my Peugeot 106?

I have a Peugeot 106 that I absolutely love but it has now done 130,000 miles (diesel). I travel across Essex, Kent and Sussex. I’m not sure what to buy next. If they still made the 106 I would go for that, but the 107 doesn't seem sturdy enough. I would like to stick to diesel and get a used car 5-door hatchback. What do you suggest? I don't want to go up to a 206/207 as too big.

Asked on 19 January 2013 by JG, East Hoathly

The 107 is actually stronger than the 106, but it is covered in lightweight flimsy panels that give the impression it is not. Probably the best small diesel now is the KIA Rio 1.1CRDI, but lots of other small petrol cars do over 50mpg, notably the Mazda 2 1.3TS2, Fiat 500 1.2, Ford Fiesta Ecoboost, Dacia Sandero TCe90, etc.